forskolin

Bryan actually commented on forskolin over on MuscleMonthly.com.  Here's the link...

http://musclemonthly.com/article....nce.htm

And here's the info...

Forkohlii’s Affects on Fat Loss

Hi Bryan,

When I went into the local nutrition store this weekend, I noticed that the herb Forskohlii is being added to a lot of thermogenic/fat loss formulas. I have never heard of this herb before. What is it supposed to do?

Forskohlii is a compound that raises cAMP levels within cells. cAMP is a second messenger in fat cells and is part of the adenylate cyclase system. cAMP plays a major role in causing fat breakdown and release from fat stores. Companies are adding Forskohlii to weight loss products in order to appease people who don’t want to use ephedrine. What people don’t realize is that Forskohlii acts "post receptor" and therefore is less specific than ephedrine. In other words, Forskohlii does not rely on beta-adrenergic receptors to increase cAMP levels. Forskolin acts on ALL cells with adenylate cyclase, not just those sensitive to noradrenalin. For example, forskolin is traditionally used in Ayurvedic medicine to lower blood pressure. Ephedrine on the other hand raises blood pressure. Obviously the effects are not the same, even though each drug eventually leads to increased cAMP levels in various tissues. Therefore, you can’t rely on Forskohlii only affecting cells sensitive to adrenergic stimuli.

This is why Forskohlii is used in in-vitro research, rather than in-vivo research. In vitro research often requires control of the intracellular environment. If you used ephedrine to try to increase cAMP in vitro (in a dish), you would have to have the whole biologic system in place, because ephedrine works mainly through increasing levels of noradrenalin. Which then acts on adrenergic receptors, which then acts on G proteins, which then act on adenylate cyclase. Forskolin, on the other hand, simply goes into the cells and activates adenylate cyclase

Some products are combining Forskohlii and MaHuang together. Is this good or bad? Is Forskohlii more or less effective than ephedrine for fat burning or can Forskohlii cause problems when combined with ephedrine or MaHuang?

There is no research that I could find that used ephedrine and forskolin in combination. Forskolin simply is NOT used in research as a weight loss agent. The only study that has been published combining ephedrine and forskolin was looking at birth defects. It was shown the combining ephedrine and forskolin increased the incedence of heart malformation in chick embryos. So, I guess the answer is yes, forskolin can increase the effects of ephedrine. This does not mean that it will increase ephedrine's lipolytic effects. The beneficial effects of ephedrine are accomplished mainly through adrenergic receptors. This is how the fat cell was designed to be controled. Forskolin bypasses adrenergic receptors and simply increase cAMP levels with no control offered by specific second messanger systems associated with adrenergic activation.

Ephedrine has tons of published research demonstrating not only its effectiveness as a weight loss agent but also its safety profile. Forskolin has none...period.

Combining ephedrine with forskolin might be good it might be bad. No one really knows. I have a feeling that any beneficial effects will be outweighed by potential risks, ssociated with unpredictable reactions to the combination within the population.

Back