For cutting....

windjammer

I have been training with HST for almost a year now and I love it so much, thanks to everyone on this forum for helping me set up my routine. I am a hardgainer but have still been building a small gut over the years of over-eating, and am finally ready to cut. I am currently 197lbs at 6'2. I wanted to ask the knowledgable folks here at HST forum what the best program for cutting might be? I have heard a combination of HST with HIIT on the off days (tues, thurs, sat), while reducing calories below consumption obviously. I have also heard no carbs before the workouts helps, and that some abs exercises will help to increase blood flow to the abdominal area to help get fat out of there. Thoughts, suggestions, and criticisms would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jFrom "Knowledge and Nonsense", Lyle McDonald's writings, Coach Hale, Alan Aragon, and Dan Moore; I find that universally the diets all have one thing in common: cals in and cals out. Otherwise, it seems to me that the final verdict is ...the "best" diet out there is the one you can stay with.
For me, I've enjoyed IF for a while, as I'm not the King of Kut either. While I can't stand torturing myself with little snackies, and prefer to just not eat for the fast then gorge, others may feel nibbling suits their palate.
Two things have broken the mold lately:
1.) Continuous feeding is unnecessary
2.) As long as proteins are kept up, the other two macros can be whatever you wish in the caloric totals you need.
...just my 2 cals worth...

Thanks for the input. I did a search on PSMF and it seems a bit extreme for me. Keep in mind that I am an extreme hardgainer who worked very hard for many years to put on bodymass, and I would like to spare as much muscle tissue as possible. From what I have read thus far, PSMF is not the best solution for this:

From http://www.drblythe.com/weightloss/chptr6txt.htm:

"The protein-sparing modified fast (PSMF) is the fastest, most aggressive means of losing weight. We generally reserve this for those with serious illness associated with morbid obesity, or those who are in need of surgery in the very near future. It is generally considered safe when undertaken under a doctor's supervision and when used for three months or less."

<div>
(windjammer @ Apr. 21 2008,3:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have been training with HST for almost a year now and I love it so much, thanks to everyone on this forum for helping me set up my routine. I am a hardgainer but have still been building a small gut over the years of over-eating, and am finally ready to cut. I am currently 197lbs at 6'2. I wanted to ask the knowledgable folks here at HST forum what the best program for cutting might be? I have heard a combination of HST with HIIT on the off days (tues, thurs, sat), while reducing calories below consumption obviously. I have also heard no carbs before the workouts helps, and that some abs exercises will help to increase blood flow to the abdominal area to help get fat out of there. Thoughts, suggestions, and criticisms would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!</div>
As a new 'cutter', you need to keep things simple. Do the kind of cardio you enjoy (or hate the least), and simply keep track of your calories throughout the day. You will learn, through trial and error, what your body responds to the best. Bulldog has put up some good spreadsheets in the forum to calculate how many calories you need.

Like quad said, the best diet is the one you can stick to. I would start out just cutting calories back a bit, keeping track of them throughout the day as steve suggested, and lifting heavy at least twice a week.

<div>
(quadancer @ Apr. 21 2008,4:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">2.) As long as proteins are kept up, the other two macros can be whatever you wish in the caloric totals you need.</div>
Yup. So long as you get .7 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight you should be able to avoid much (or any...) loss of muscle mass. Of course, 1g or 1.5g per pound would be even better.

BTW, the website you linked to doesn't seem to want to include any chicken and beef along with the eggs, tuna, and cottage cheese. Yet chicken and beef provide plenty of protein.

I think you'll find that PSMF works remarkably well, especially if you add some green beans or other low carb veggie to help keep your tummy full. I've certainly had good luck with it. I'm down to 9.4% bodyfat with no apparent loss of muscle (in fact I've gained 3 lbs of lean body mass).

PSMF works great if you lift heavy and frequently. Max stim not only does that but also mitigates fatigue that comes on much quicker with a calorie deficit. Do it as Lyle McDonald recommends (Whole foods + fish oil + cruciferous vegitables) and wont lose a significant amount of muscle, if any at all. Heck TR claims he gained muscle. If you want to be absolutely sure and can stand the side effects and risks, add bromocriptine into the equation and rest easy.

But yeah, like Quad and Tot said. the best diet is the one you can stick to... just remember to get enough protein and lift heavy.

Back