flax oil or fish oil

There are three sources of omega 3 fatty acids: Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).

I'd go for for EPA and DHA (found in great quantity in fat fishes like salmon, herring, sardines, trout, mackerel, halibut, and some meat), not ALA (for which flaxseed oil is the richest source) .

Why?
1- flaxseed oil is super susceptible to oxidation.
2- ALA has to be converted into EPA and DHA by the body, and this conversion seems to be less efficient with age (decline in the enzyme)
3- The vast majority of studies demonstrate the benefit of of EPA and DHA, not alphalinolenic acid.
4- The impact of alphalinolenic acid on eicosanoid synthesis by means pf inhibiting the delta 6 desaturase enzyme (delta 6 desaturase "activates" dietary fatty acids into gamma-linolenic acid - GLA) .

That said, I think (according to what I've read) that alphalinolenic acid is still good for you (the importance of consuming a substantial amount of omega 3 fat outweights the negatives of flaseed oil), but if you have the choice, go for fish oil.

Aaron might have something intersting to add.

You should also do a search.

Hope that helps.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Staxx @ July 22 2004,11:37)]Hemp oil is the way to go... it's the most perfectly balanced oil.
Staxx
however "perfectly balanced" an oil might be, needs in omega 3 and omega 6 depends on the whole diet, genetics, etc., and so, hemp might be perfect for one, but not for another.

I agree though, that hemp might be better than flaxseed. But hemp is a vegetable, and contains ALA (no DHA or EPA). See my other post.

Back