Fish Oil Supps

Joe, the fish oil I'm taking has a great lemon flavour and is almost completely devoid of 'fishiness.' No fishy burps unlike when I eat a pile of sardines.
smile.gif

Mine are the "enteric coated" capsules , whether this helps with burps or if it's something else I can't say but I haven't noticed fish burps myself.
smile.gif

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Aug. 01 2009,11:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks guys...is there anything else that comes close to fish oil as far as supplements go?

Thanks</div>
The enteric coated capsules like Russ has will stop fishy burps, this coating means they will dissolve in your small intestine and not your stomach. I just go for the ones that say &quot;odourless&quot;, never had a problem with them. (Or those with added citric acid like LOL mentioned)

Flaxseed is an alternative, though I've never tried it myself.

I´ve been taking fish oil regularly for about a year or so, maybe more. Right now I average 5g a day and I would say that fish oil is probably one of the factors that has lead to improved asthma (and leanness).

I think I am going to try and up the dose to poliquin amounts for a few weeks (20g). I will report to see if I see any benfits.

I'm feeling relief from Arthur with 10-15/day, but the shoulder is still a piece of work.
Getting an X-ray soon I think.

Having been off all direct fish oil supplementation for over a month now, I thought it interesting that my shoulder issue has improved greatly over the same time period. It's quite possible that the effects of fish oil supps are not immediately apparent (in the case of joint health) but that there is a positive long-term effect that continues on for a time after supplementation ceases. (Subjective I know, but I have noticed that the skin on my elbows seems to be a little drier again, although not as bad as it was before I started supplementing.) Of course, I'm still eating some oily fish every week along with plenty of virgin olive oil, so that will count for something (perhaps quite a lot).

I do intend to start up fish oil supplementation again soon but I will return to 10g a day rather than a higher dosage and see if my shoulder remains healthy. I know there are lots of studies showing the benefits of fish oil in the diet but I don't see the point in taking a high dosage of the stuff (30g+/day) unless it is fully evident that there are extra benefits over and above a regular lower dosage along with good oily fish and other good omega-3 rich oils in the diet.

This is the sort of article out there on the interweb that discusses supposed benefits of fish oil supplementation:

Human study: omega-3 fatty acids delay molecular ageing

Any studies sited usually have subjects taking relatively low levels of fish oil supplementation compared to the levels prescribed by some in the weightlifting community - often &lt; 10g/day.

So I've been off fish oil supps for about four months now. I still get some fish oil from the oily fish I eat at least once a week and I'm getting plenty of other good fats in my diet from avocados, cold pressed olive oil and plenty of mixed nuts and seeds.

Just recently, while doing a fair amount of heavy lifting (>80% 1RM loads for bench, squats and deads), my shoulders, hips and knees have started to ache more than I remember them doing for a long time. It's not debilitating or painful but it is aggravating. My skin is noticeably 'drier' now than it was; one of the things I remember noticing when I started on fish oil supps was that my skin became more supple. That was the most obvious effect but I'm sure that other tissues benefited too.

I ordered a fresh supply today and will start taking a tablespoonful (~10g) a day as soon as it arrives. It'll be instructive to see if the aches and pains start to die away and if my skin improves again (and how long it takes to occur).

Having been off all direct fish oil supplementation for over a month now, I thought it interesting that my shoulder issue has improved greatly over the same time period. It's quite possible that the effects of fish oil supps are not immediately apparent (in the case of joint health) but that there is a positive long-term effect that continues on for a time after supplementation ceases. (Subjective I know, but I have noticed that the skin on my elbows seems to be a little drier again, although not as bad as it was before I started supplementing.) Of course, I'm still eating some oily fish every week along with plenty of virgin olive oil, so that will count for something (perhaps quite a lot).

I do intend to start up fish oil supplementation again soon but I will return to 10g a day rather than a higher dosage and see if my shoulder remains healthy. I know there are lots of studies showing the benefits of fish oil in the diet but I don't see the point in taking a high dosage of the stuff (30g+/day) unless it is fully evident that there are extra benefits over and above a regular lower dosage along with good oily fish and other good omega-3 rich oils in the diet.

This is the sort of article out there on the interweb that discusses supposed benefits of fish oil supplementation:

Human study: omega-3 fatty acids delay molecular ageing

Any studies sited usually have subjects taking relatively low levels of fish oil supplementation compared to the levels prescribed by some in the weightlifting community - often &lt; 10g/day.

Thanks. That web site is very informative, just going through some interests; seems reputable.

Back