First HST Routine Post-Day1

shoebox

So before I start, I'll throw my stats out there. I am 6'0", 155 pounds at about 8% bf. I did a week of figuring out my RM before and am just starting my first cycle of HST training. I've been eating a clean bulk diet and taking creatine pre and PWO.

I borrowed alot of this plan from these forums (thank you to the creator) and tried to add some of my own.

Day 1 (Mon/Wed/Fri)

Squats 2x10
S L Deadlifts 2x10
Incline Dumbbell Press 2x10
Chins 2x10
Dips 2x10
Dumbbell Rows 2x10
Shrugs 2x10
Standing Calf Raises 2x10
Crunches 2x15

At the end of this, I felt like my chest and legs did not get the work-out they deserved so I added.

Pec Flies 2x10
Leg curls 2x10

Tues/Thurs

Barbell Curls 2x10
Skullcrushers 2x10
Standing Calf Raise 2x10
Tricep Pushdowns 2x10

How does this look overall? Am I missing any areas?

I also want to do cardio on tues/thurs/sat/sun. Do you guys recommend I eat before cardio? When should I do cardio on days that I am training? (Tues/Thurs).

Ditch the isolation work. At your size, you should focus on compounds, keeping isolations to a minimum. What you need to do is gain sheer mass. Heavy compounds will add more to your arms at this point than curls or pushdowns. Most of your routine looks great though. I would trim if down a little bit, like I said - get rid of the Tues/Thurs workouts completely - you'll need those days for eating, since I'm assuming by your weight that you have a fairly fast metabolism.

You might consider swapping barbell for dumbbell incline press, but it won't matter that much at this point. Shrugs probably won't do much for your traps that rowing and deadlifting won't already do, so I would ditch those for now. Once you get over 200, you may consider all the isolation work, but for now it will basically just waste your time and burn calories that could be going toward mass gains.

So... I would stick to this:

Squats 2x10
S L Deadlifts 2x10
Incline Dumbbell Press 2x10
Chins 2x10
Dips 2x10
Dumbbell Rows 2x10
Standing Calf Raises 2x10
Crunches 2x15

You could probably trim the crunches and calf raises down to one set, but you don't really have to. This routine right here is very solid and provided you eat enough, should have you swelling up real fast.
What is your ultimate weight goal? I would bulk up to 180-190 if I were you before trying to cut down. Don't be too afraid of bodyfat - that's most guy's downfall. You can safely bulk up to 12-15% bodyfat without much worry. It will be easy enough to cut down later on for someone like you, compared to bulking. Trust me, I'm cursed with a hummingbird metabolism myself and cutting is always way easier (though less enjoyably) than bulking.

Yeah, my goal is to add about 30 pounds of lean muscle and I'm not worried about body fat at all. Cutting is what my body seems to do best!

Ditching tues/thurs will be tough, I'm really obsessed with the gym, but I'll do my best.

I agree, ditch the isolations. I like using A & B workouts with only compounds i.e., alternate squats with conventional deadlifts, bench presses with dips, chins with rows.

I would also use a barbell instead of a DB because of the greater load.

Stevie made a great point on another thread about hitting 2x bodyweight with squats and deadlifts (10 reps) and 1.5x bodyweight with bench presses (10 reps) (this is not meant to mean doing only these 3 exercises). As long as one is eating properly, then I think it is probable that you'd be pretty dang big, at least much larger than when you start.

Any idea where I can find this post?

And sorry, who is Stevie?
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the advice, alternating a few of the compounds makes alot of sense to me.

To answer one question of yours - I wouldn't do cardio at all right now. It will just burn up calories that you could be using for mass. Really, you want to try to do the least amount of work possible to still build muscle, because you need every last ounce of energy your body has for building muscle - that's another reason why you want to stick to a compound routine. You can do a lot more work with just one compound than you could with several isolations.
So save the cardio for when you are maintaining or cutting.

Caught me just as I was leaving to go do cardio, Thanks Totentanz.

I understand the concept of doing the compound exercises, but yesterday, even after doing my old work out, I am not sore at all today. I was working till failure for many of my reps yesterday, so that doesn't make sense to me.

I read somewhere about the pain being a nervous system overload... I guess that could be it... Just doesn't seem right to go to the gym and not wake up sore the next day!

DOMS isnt called by a nervous system overload, you wont get it until you do a level of work you havn't done in a while, don't worry about it, it's not the yardstick of a successful workout, growth is.

What Totentanz said.

Just like style said, being sore by and large is a poor indicator of your progress. Soreness can be caused by so many things that it doesn't really matter. Heck, you can pick a light weight and do 30-40 reps and you'll probably be sore the next day, but it does zip for growth.

A lot of people feel like they aren't doing enough work when they first start HST but just bear with it for a while and you'll get used to the fact that you can do less and get better results than you were getting before when you were doing more.

Hey

In Africa we have the big five, (Lion/ Rhyno/ Leopard/ Elephant/ Buffalo) in the weights game we have them too:
laugh.gif

Squat / Deadlift / Chin ups (underhand close grip) / Dips / Military Press

Thses are the most important for mass building, then you can add:

Bench - slight incline / Some heavy rows / Ab work (whatever blows you hair
biggrin.gif
)

That is it mate! And yeah, eat like a "vark", up to 1000 calories extra, if you see you are putting more fat than you want, reduce tis to 500 but eat you have to in order to grow!

Worry about isos much later, once you have put in about 40 or so pounds, that should take you another year at least, and that is noty impossible, just apply yourself!
cool.gif

Faustos5 exercises look great, I might make a routine with them and bent over rows combined with ridiculously high calorie intake, what do you guys think?

Thanks Faust! I'm going to add military presses to my work out on friday! I can't wait!

So far, after day 2, the workout has been great. Today was the new trimmed down version.

My 10 rep max for alot of the exercises have already increased dramatically. My dips and chins are lagging a bit behind, but I'm sure they'll come around.

I do as many as I can with full body weight, and if I have a spotter I get some assistance in order to pump a few more off. Then I do lat pull downs and use the dip machine to finish them off!

Thanks again gents

P.S. A friend of mine is trying this same plan out, she wants to cut and tone up though. If she sticks to 3x15 and does cardio after will she shape up not bulk up? She's also reducing her caloric intake by about 500.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I do as many as I can with full body weight, and if I have a spotter I get some assistance in order to pump a few more off. Then I do lat pull downs and use the dip machine to finish them off!</div>

Watch you do not compromise your ability to workout frequently. Are you going 'beyond' failure?

I'm dipping my body weight until when pushing up, my body is lowered to the ground. I'll keep pushing for as long as I can hold myself up though.

I only do one set of my body weight because I find that when I go to do the second one I can only do 2-3. I usually just switch to the dip machine then.

I don't know what it is, but if my muscles didn't need rest to rebuild, I could probably work out every day, twice a day. I feel better than I did before I started working out and a few hours my muscles are only tired not sore.

I've added a ton of weight to each of my exercises already and I weigh 165lbs. now. Theres also some very visible changes in my physique and its only been two weeks.

I love this method of working out, but it still feels very weird that I'm not just dragging myself to bed afterwards and barely getting out of it in the morning...

I suppose I could add negatives to my chins. That'd probably help a ton, thanks for the idea!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I love this method of working out, but it still feels very weird that I'm not just dragging myself to bed afterwards and barely getting out of it in the morning...</div>

the difference is simple, HST is based on science, basically straight out of the lab...and we are the lab rats. But so far I don't see anything but positive responses, and its been 4 years so far...

Bryan... time for your imput!
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">P.S. A friend of mine is trying this same plan out, she wants to cut and tone up though. If she sticks to 3x15 and does cardio after will she shape up not bulk up? She's also reducing her caloric intake by about 500. </div>

Tell your friend to stick to normal HST, do 6 weeks instead of 8 or 8 with 4 weeks of 5's.

IF YOU DON&quot;T EAT ABOVE MAINTENANCE (in her case she'll be below) YOU WILL NOT GROW BIG!

the overall result will be toning overall, If I may add with very good results!
laugh.gif

That sounds encouraging! I'll be sure to pass on that information to her.

I'm eating anywhere from about 3500 to 4500 calories a day. Its getting more stable, as I get more used to the diet.

Thanks for your help gents, I'm going to keep on the bulking phase until I leave for Brazil at the end of July. Once there, I'll do my cutting and some plyometric or bodyweight exercises.

I'll keep you guys posted as to my improvements!

Monday, April 17

Squat 170lbs.x2x10
S+L DL 75x2x10
Inc. Bench 25x2x10
Chins 9, 2 BW
Dips 7, 0 BW
Dumbbell Rows 30x2x10
Shrugs 30x2x10
Standing Calf Raise 25x3x10
Crunches 2x15
Pec Flies 20x2x10
Calf Raise 55x2x10

Wednesday April 19

Squats 175lbs.x2x10
S+L DL 80x2x10
Inc. Bench 25x2x10
Lat Pulldown 70x2x10
Dips 6 BW, 57x2x10 Dip Machine
Dumbbell Rows 25x2x10
Seated Calf Raises 55x2x10
Crunches 2x15
Standing Calf Raises 60x2x10

Friday April 21

Squats 185x2x10
S+L DL 85x2x10,8
Military Press 50+smithx2x10 (6 with 60lbs.)
Inc. Bench 25x2x10
Chins 8,4, 5negs
Dips 8,3, 5negs
Dumbbell Rows 30x2x10
Seated Calf Raises 95x2x10
Crunches 2x15

Now:
Weight: 164lbs.
Thighs: 21.5inches
Calves: 14.75
Forearms: 11.25
Biceps: 12.5
Chest (from the nipples?): 37.5
Neck: 16
Waist: 31 (from belly button?)

Before (Tuesday):
11 inch forearms
12 inch biceps
35 1/2 inch chest
16 inch neck
21 inch thighs
14 1/2 inch calves

The measurements might not be 100% accurate, its hard to drape a tape measure over yourself, but the strength gains are!

Back