failure on drop-sets?

bilknu

I am going to do drop-sets instead of negatives. Do I do them to failure and on the 2nd set only? Thanks

Don't overdo it, rather start by adding dropsets only after the last set of the last exercise for any given muscle. If you start dropsets before you are finfished with your regular sets, you might not be able to hit some of your RMs in the later exercises which hit the specific muscle you have already exhausted by doing dropsets.

In HST, dropsets are primarily used for adding volume during the low-rep phase, not for adding intensity (like in conventional bodybuilding routines). Therefore, I don't think that reaching failure is important. However, if the weights are too light and you don't even feel your muscles burning, nothing much will come of it. If you DO go to failure, it's not as taxing for the CNS as going to failure in a normal set, though, because the load will be much lighter. It's more of a "metabolic failure" than a "neural failure", i. e. you just can't take the burn any longer. Bottom line: just start playing with dropsets, after one or two cycles you will know what works for you.

Back