electric's log

2 things:

The descent of the deadlift has been more challenging for me to execute properly than pulling of the weight from the floor.  I tend to go down slowly in an effort to maintain strict from (essentially reversing the movement).  This undoubtedly has limited my weight progression, but it is more important to get it right IMO before the weights get heavy and major injury is possible.

Arms...we all have lagging arms.  We all want bigger arms.  There are some luckly guys out there who have genetically big arms, but they are few and far between.  I train 3 sets of biceps every workout.  I believe the high frequency coupled with a low number of sets and gradual weight progression has worked well for me.  Personally, if I had to choose 2 arm exercises (isolation) that will have the most potential for growth...
1.  Incline DB curls (standing on heavy back days to keep the weight at the same level)
2.  Skullz (bar extending to a full-stretch behind the head to bench)

Both of these exercises compliment the majors by offering a very good stretch if performed correctly.  Hammers aren't a great choice IMO...keep it simple and effective.

edit: do them at the end of the workout so there isn't interference with the majors

May 2nd, last workout of the 10s.

Dips - 2x10 @ BW+10Kg (22 lbs)
Bent-over Barbell row - 2x10 @ 65Kg (143 lbs)
Front Squat - 2 @ 55Kg (121 lbs) uh-oh, too heavy, 2x10 @ 45Kg (100 lbs)
Incline DB Curl - 10, 7, 5 @ 32Kg (70 lbs) - combined DB weights
and some additional random exercises.

I am unsure about the bent over row, maybe the weight was too heavy but the form was not good and I lost balance to the front (didn't fall on my face tho
biggrin.gif
). I am thinking about switching to one-arm DB row. What do you people think?
Front Squats were a different issue... maybe I advanced too fast in weight from 100 to 121 pounds and bailed after 2 reps. Repeated last weight and completed the two sets.
As suggested by soflsun I tried incline DB curls. I liked it, really felt the stretch in the biceps.
Since, as I mentioned, I feel my arms are lagging I am looking for the most efficient arm isolation exercises for size. Suggestions are welcome.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> I am unsure about the bent over row, maybe the weight was too heavy but the form was not good and I lost balance to the front (didn't fall on my face tho ). I am thinking about switching to one-arm DB row. What do you people think? </div>

I would advise against it for 2 reasons. Firstly, I have read many times that barbells are for the most part better than dumbells because they are basic whereas dumbells are auxilliary and you want to stick to 1 basic compound exercise per body part IMO and keep it as simple as possible (I'm not the first one to say this) . Secondly, changing exercises mid-cycle isn't desirable because of pratical considerations such as having to find your maxes.

If the form was not good, I would drop the weight maybe 10-15% and really concentrate on good form. I have personally learnt the hard way the importance of good form after getting several injuries.
sad.gif
So, be conservative when choosing your weight. Just out of interest do you do pendlay rows or regular BB rows?

You are in heaven when you walk up to your Pendlay bar and some guy asks you &quot;You're gonna deadlift THAT?&quot; ...you say &quot;naw&quot; and start ROWING it...
laugh.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I would advise against it for 2 reasons. Firstly, I have read many times that barbells are for the most part better than dumbells because they are basic whereas dumbells are auxilliary and you want to stick to 1 basic compound exercise per body part IMO and keep it as simple as possible (I'm not the first one to say this) . Secondly,  changing exercises mid-cycle isn't desirable because of pratical considerations such as having to find your maxes. </div>

I am not sure that using the barbell instead of the dumbell would do much of a difference in this exercise since it is the same muscle group being worked. It is not like I am isolating something. The only difference might be the lower back that would not be so stressed because I would be supporting the bent over position with my other arm. That way it is easier to maintain form and not tumble forward.
Regarding the recalculating my maxes part, it isn't such a problem in my case because in the barbell variant I am also using non-calculated weights since it was already a switch from a machine row in the first place  
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If the form was not good, I would drop the weight maybe 10-15% and really concentrate on good form. I have personally learnt the hard way the importance of good form after getting several injuries.  
sad.gif
  So, be conservative when choosing your weight. Just out of interest do you do pendlay rows or regular BB rows?</div>

I think you are right. I should try again with lower weights. The lift just feels strange as it is hard to maintain the balance when rowing greater weights. About the kind of row I am using, I still haven't figured the exact distinction between the pendlay and the regular. I was lowering the weight to the floor and lifting it explosively, trying to keep by upper back kind of arched up. Does this qualify it as a pendlay?

1st HST Cycle, 13th Workout, 1st day of the 5s. BW @ 71.3Kg (157lbs)

5 minute 12 km/h treadmill warm up.
Flat BB Bench Press - 3x5 @ 71Kg (157lbs)
Weighted Chin - 3x5 @ BW+6Kg (13lbs)
Deadlift - 3x5 @ 81Kg (179lbs)
Cable Triceps Push-down - 3x5 @ 65Kg (143lbs)
Stiff-legged Deadlift - 3x5 @ 51Kg (112lbs)
Seated Incline DB Curl - 3x5 @ 32Kg (71lbs) *combined DB weight
Upright Row - 3x5 @ 27Kg (60lbs)
Static holds for grip strength

The workout was great, I love the 5s, the weights weren't heavy but weren't unchallenging. None of that weird *shock* problem I had last time I did chins, tried a slightly wider grip (shoulder width). Wasn't doing anything for the lateral delts so I added some upright rows.
Good 1st 5s workout overall, only bad new is that I weighted the bar and instead of the 15kg I thought it had, it's weight is 11.3kg
sad.gif
. Will use 11kg to simplify the weights. This workout's log is already using the corrected weight.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

<div>
(electric @ May 03 2008,6:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I still haven't figured the exact distinction between the pendlay and the regular. I was lowering the weight to the floor and lifting it explosively, trying to keep by upper back kind of arched up. Does this qualify it as a pendlay?</div>
if you are completely deloading the weight on the ground, that is a pendlay row. use the period of time the weight is deloaded to set yourself for the next rep.

if you are using a lot of &quot;body english&quot; during your explosive row, that is a dynamic row.

pendlays are strict rows.

looks like your deadlifts are starting to come up a bit! that's got to make you pleased. good job.

<div>
(fearfactory @ May 05 2008,3:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">if you are completely deloading the weight on the ground, that is a pendlay row.  use the period of time the weight is deloaded to set yourself for the next rep.

if you are using a lot of &quot;body english&quot; during your explosive row, that is a dynamic row.

pendlays are strict rows.

looks like your deadlifts are starting to come up a bit!  that's got to make you pleased.  good job.</div>
What do you mean by &quot;using a lot of body english&quot;?

I am taking a step back on the rows to focus on form. What form of row do you suggest?

Thank you about the deadlifts, I don't want to increase weights too fast and lose form. I also don't think I can increase too much due to lack of grip strength.

I like pendlay rows when things get heavier, but for high reps and lighter weights, I prefer regular barbell rows (that aren't deloaded).  that's just me.

you are wise to take things slowly.

here's a pendlay row that's pretty strict.  I'm assuming he rows it all the way to the upper abdomen.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeJJg8nHxZ8&amp;feature=related

this isn't a bad bent over barbell row
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUFUiotRPdE&amp;feature=related

this guy is doing dynamic rows  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwZ6czen6Yg

here's an article  http://stronglifts.com/how-to-perform-the-pendlay-row-with-correct-technique/

here's another  http://stronglifts.com/how-to-perform-the-barbell-row-with-proper-technique/

<div>
(electric @ May 05 2008,3:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What do you mean by &quot;using a lot of body english&quot;?</div>
Cheating...
biggrin.gif

<div>
(fearfactory @ May 05 2008,5:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I like pendlay rows when things get heavier, but for high reps and lighter weights, I prefer regular barbell rows (that aren't deloaded).  that's just me.

here's a pendlay row that's pretty strict.  I'm assuming he rows it all the way to the upper abdomen.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeJJg8nHxZ8&amp;feature=related</div>
It looks strict but it doesn't really look like he is touching the upper abs with the bar.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">this isn't a bad bent over barbell row
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUFUiotRPdE&amp;feature=related

this guy is doing dynamic rows  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwZ6czen6Yg</div>
In the BB Row video the guy is almost straight with his torso. Is this the correct way to BB Row?
The dynamic rows are not my cup of tea.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">here's an article  http://stronglifts.com/how-to-perform-the-pendlay-row-with-correct-technique/

here's another  http://stronglifts.com/how-to-perform-the-barbell-row-with-proper-technique/</div>
These links were what got me confused in the first place. The BB Row link describes and shows pictures and videos of the Pendlay.

Thank you for the links and info. I'll keep (trying) the pendlay. I just have to figure out how to keep balance and not tip forward when using heavier weights.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 03 2008,6:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You are in heaven when you walk up to your Pendlay bar and some guy asks you &quot;You're gonna deadlift THAT?&quot; ...you say &quot;naw&quot; and start ROWING it...
laugh.gif
</div>
This is why I am considering switching to barbell form for my bent-over rows.

Today's workout, 2nd day of the 5s. Body Weight at 72.2Kg (159lbs)

5 minute 12Km/h (7.5 mph) treadmill warmup.
Dips - 3x5 @ BW+14Kg (31lbs)
Pendlay Row - 3x5 @ 61Kg (135lbs)
Back Shrugs - 1x5 @ 61Kg - The bar was already there... *shrugs*
Skull Crushers - 3x5 @ 27Kg (60lbs)
Front Squat - 3x5 @ 51Kg (112lbs) - bar cleaned from floor at every set
Prone Incline DB Curl - 3x5 @ 32Kg (71lbs) *combined DB weight* - idea borrowed from TunnelRat
Push Crunches - 2x15 @ 24Kg (53lbs)
Situps - 2x15 @ BW

Great workout, felt energetic, took little rest between sets (1min). The dips bothered my shoulders a little, but not a big deal. In the first set of Pendlay's I didn't deload the weight, but changed that for the 2 other sets. The front squat was really good, weight was just right (not a max tho), wrists didn't bother me.
I borrowed those Prone Incline DB Curls from TunnelRat's log, maybe alternating a curl focused on biceps brachii and one focused on the brachialis will help my arm grow faster. I didn't like the Push Crunches, so will try something else. The only &quot;accessory&quot; I use for lifting (at the time) is a glove to avoid calluses, today I worked without it, I just have to learn how to grip. Today was fine, but less see how it fares in the next WO when I'll be deadlifting, bench pressing and doing chins.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

<div>
(electric @ May 06 2008,9:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I just have to figure out how to keep balance and not tip forward when using heavier weights.</div>
can you post a video of this lift?

<div>
(fearfactory @ May 07 2008,2:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">can you post a video of this lift?</div>
I don't have a real recorder, only the photo camera that can make videos, but I will sure try.

3rd day of the 5s. Woke up felling tired, thought about skipping this workout but dragged myself to the gym. BW at 71.5Kg (158lbs). That is 0.7 kg (1.5lbs) less then Wednesday. I workout in the mourning and weight myself before the workout, always around the same time. No real reason for the weight drop.

5 minutes 2&quot; incline 12 km/h (7.5mph) warmup.
Flat BB Bench Press - 81 kg (179lbs)... no-go did 5 partial reps, not counting those; 5x71kg (157lbs), 4.5x75kg (165lbs) last rep failed, had no spotter, doh; Got a spotter for the last set 5x75kg (165lbs) easily, huh?
Chin - 3x5 @ BW+10Kg (22lbs)
Deadlift - 3x5 @ 91kg (201lbs)
Seated Incline DB Curl - 3x5 @ 36kg (79lbs) *combined DB weight*
Romenian Deadlift - 3x5 @ 51kg (112lbs)
Upright Rows - 3x5 @ 37kg (82lbs)
ABS Crunch Machine - 2x15 @ 55Kg (55lbs)
Standing Cable Triceps Push-down - 2x5 @ 70kg (154lbs)

Although I dragged myself to the gym, once I got there the evil spirits of overtraining possessed me and I ended up training more then I usually do. The end result is that I had to crawl out of there when it was all over and will probably drag myself around the whole day.
Everything was ok, I was specially surprised with the bicep curls, I was a little skeptical I would be able to do them.
The bench press is always a problem for me. I racked 81kg and on the first rep I freaked out, did some partial reps just because I had already racked that weight and gave up. Had no spotter was afraid I'd be crushed by the bar. Reduced to 71kg and it went pretty easy. Added some more weight to 75Kg and ended up failing my last rep, no spotter again so, this time I got squished by the bar *wimp*  
laugh.gif
. Kept the 75kg weight found myself a spotter and did 5 reps quite easily, the couple additional rest minutes helped but I really think there is an important psychological part in this lift for me.
Tried the Romenian Deadlift, besides hitting my shins twice with the bar it was ok  
biggrin.gif
I really should by SS.

Woke up late today, felt tired, didn't sleep all that great so I decided to skip todays workout. I have to travel for work tomorrow so I guess I'll just shift my monday workout to wednesday and resume normally from there. Feeling a little guilty about it but I guess some CNS recovery is not all that bad.

1st HST Cycle, 4th day of the 5s. Body Weight = 72.2kg (159lbs)

5 minute 12Km/h (7.5 mph) treadmill warmup.
Dips - 3x5 @ BW+18Kg (40lbs)
Pendlay Row - 3x5 @ 71Kg (157lbs)
Back Shrugs - 1x5 @ 71Kg (157lbs)
Skull Crushers - 3x5 @ 31kg (68lbs)
Front Squat - 3x5 @ 61Kg (135lbs) - bar cleaned from floor at every set
Prone Incline DB Curl - 3x5 @ 36Kg (79lbs) *combined DB weight*
Cable Upright Rows - some for fun, not logged

One girl that works in the gym came to me to ask me why I was doing ATG Front Squats, and I said that besides other things it was easier on the knee. I told her that not only I've read in several places that ATG was best on the knee but I also stopped feeling pain after switching from parallel to ATG. But she insisted. It is kind of annoying. It is the same girl that told me that I shouldn't do Bench with bar to chest, that I should stop before touching the chest with the bar.
Anyways... dips were hard but managable, the Pendlay's went ok but the last rep of the last set required some cheating. Not sure if those back shrugs are worth anything, but it is just icing on the cake. Tried Skull crushers with 37kg but it was a no-go. I did some laying triceps extensions which are easier with that weight, then reduced to 31kg and did the skulls.
Squats were also manageable but they are definitively heavy now. Had a mishap while cleaning the bar for the 3rd set and fell on my butt. Nothing hurt tho, just a bruised ego
smile.gif

<div>
(electric @ May 09 2008,12:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Tried the Romenian Deadlift, besides hitting my shins twice with the bar it was ok</div>
When doing RDLs, you want to keep the bar very close to your legs. If you're doing them right, you'll likely hit your shins more than a few times...  
sad.gif

5th day of the 5s - A workout. Body weight at 72.8kg (161lbs).

5 minutes 2&quot; incline 12 km/h (7.5mph) warmup.
Flat BB Bench Press - 3x5 @ 81 kg (179lbs)
Chin - 2x5,1x4 @ BW+14Kg (31lbs)
Deadlift - 2x5,1x4 @ 101kg (223lbs)
Seated Incline DB Curl - 2x3 @ 40kg (88lbs) *combined DB weight*

The bench went ok, differently from the last A workout I had a spotter at all times. Did all 3 sets of 5 without help. Psychologically having the spotter gives me much more confidence that translates to more &quot;strength&quot;. Chins were hard, I upped 4 kilos instead of 2. That last rep didn't want to come.. did two partials and gave up. The curls were too heavy for me... doing them after very heavy benchs, chins and deads did not help at all, but I think I'll have to back up a little before using this weight again.
Deads are a different situation... the second and third set were a little clustered and I didn't even finish the last rep. More like the rep finished me
biggrin.gif
But seriously I need to get myself to video this lift and ask for your opinions, I have the feeling that I am doing too much effort with the lower back and &quot;little&quot; effort with the legs. It sounds to me as if I am mixing the deadlift with a romenian deadlift, but from where I stand I can't really tell.

Back