Eating in the evening

Stefan

I have heard that the food you eat just before going to bed will easily be stored as body fat, but I have also heard that eating carbohydrates before going to bed will facilitate muscle growth. Is any of this true?

Meals at night should not be considered any different from meals during the day. All the same rules apply.

If you go to CNN's website there was a recent study using monkeys (chimps?) showing that eating before bed has no effect on fat gain.

But is there anything in particular you should eat before going to bed, like an extra dose of carbs, protein etc?

I've eaten a meal before bedtime every day for years and it never seemed to elicit any noticeable difference in fat gain for me. It seems that the calories I take in day after day makes a difference in my weight gain.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But is there anything in particular you should eat before going to bed, like an extra dose of carbs, protein etc?

None, eat whatever you like or nothing at all, sleep will not make any difference, only the total daily calories.

I started minimizing my overnight "protein fast" awhile ago by eating a high-protein (turkey, nuts, milk) snack before bed and another high-protein meal (omelette) first thing in the morning. This has correlated pretty significantly with improved LBM gains, although there have certainly been other variables involved.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stefan @ April 02 2004,7:11)]But is there anything in particular you should eat before going to bed, like an extra dose of carbs, protein etc?
Since you most likely won't be getting up during the night, aim for the "slower" protein. Sure you can have whey before bed, but it's quickly absorbed and thus does not provide a sustained source of amino acids. I'm not saying it's bad to have whey before bed, just include whole foods as well to deley absorbtion...

how do you know if a food is a "slower" protein or not ?

aside from whole bread...

Back