Dumbbell Squat?

jay_89

Sometiems in my gym the squat rack is busy, I was wondering If I can incorporate dumbbell squats into my HST routine.

I know it wouldn't be that effective compared to the barbell but it's better than nothing right?

I would say that if your legs have adapted to BB weight, then lighter dombells wouldn't do anything for hypertrophy. If you SD a lot, or have very heavy dumbells, then maybe they would be OK.

Thanks for the reply, it's my first time doing squats, and my gym provides lite to very heavy dumbbells.

Don't bother with dumbell squats, waste of time. Up until about 2 months ago I had no squat rack and so I did dumbell squats...the problem is they feel more like deadlifts and even with very heavy DBs (100s) I didn't have hardly any quad growth since they are more like deadlifts I got some glute and hamstring activation. Now I got my squat rack and my thighs are growing faster than any bodypart right now. WAIT FOR THE SQUAT RACK, IT IS WORTH IT! If you absolutely can't do squats, do leg presses.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Oct. 06 2006,17:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Don't bother with dumbell squats, waste of time. Up until about 2 months ago I had no squat rack and so I did dumbell squats...the problem is they feel more like deadlifts and even with very heavy DBs (100s) I didn't have hardly any quad growth since they are more like deadlifts I got some glute and hamstring activation. Now I got my squat rack and my thighs are growing faster than any bodypart right now. WAIT FOR THE SQUAT RACK, IT IS WORTH IT! If you absolutely can't do squats, do leg presses.</div>
Thanks, I guess i'll use the leg press as second option.

yes legg-press if you cant get on the squat rack.
use that as an alternate in your routine so when you go in if the rack is available use it when its not do leg presses.
you could also go up to the guys using the rack and say&quot;can i jump in for a few sets&quot; they will either let you or hurry up and get done knowing that you are waiting.good luck
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

<div>
(faz @ Oct. 07 2006,06:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">yes legg-press if you cant get on the squat rack.
use that as an alternate in your routine so when you go in if the rack is available use it when its not do leg presses.
you could also go up to the guys using the rack and say&quot;can i jump in for a few sets&quot; they will either let you or hurry up and get done knowing that you are waiting.good luck
cool.gif
biggrin.gif
</div>
Yeah, the guys at my gym are cool, they'll let you jump in a few sets whether you're a beginner or not. I'm from the UK too also
cool.gif

One option you can try is doing single leg squats with dumbbells.  (Also termed bulgarian squats).  I think some single leg work is very useful in between the more standard dbl leg stuff.

These will absolutely crush your legs though...I could hardly walk down the stairs after the first time I did them.  I'm back to front squats for now, but I'm planning to use them after this HST cycle.

You can control the quad vs. ham/glute emphasis by how far out you place your front foot (closer in is more quad).

http://orgs.jmu.edu/strengt....uat.htm

One other idea would be step-ups and use dumbbells there.

Also, I tried dumbbell squats once and they felt both uncomfortable and didn't seem to work my legs very hard.

Diamyo, good idea about those single-leg DB squats, I will try them. I broke my left leg as a kid and it has always been smaller than my right, I will try these in order to bring my left leg up to par.

WOW.....I'll have to give these babies a go! Unlike 'scientific muscle' my legs have always been a difficult muscle group. But just looking at these images blows my mind. I will have to try them.
biggrin.gif

Back