dropsets on the 5's

ksteensma

I posted this question over on the HST specific forum and got no responses, so I am trying it here.

My first HST cycle, and am in the second week of 5's. Decided to add dropsets, but i am confused. In the forum reading I get the opinions that I should drop weight and rep out to a total of 15 - 20 rep. Bryan spoke of dropping weight 2 times, but elsewhere there was discussion of dropping 1 time and finish out 10 additional reps, for a total of 15 in my second week of 5's.
question:
1- should i drop weight 2 times, rep 7 more each drop, for a total of 19, or drop 1 time and rep 10 more for a total of 15
2-Bryan felt that dropsets should be performed for a minimum of 4 weeks, if I understand it correctly. Do I go into 2 weeks of negatives after 4 weeks of 5's with dropsets, or skip the negatives and head into SD.
I have performed 2 days of dropsets by dropping weight 1 time and repping 10 more. This kicked my butt, with DOMS lasting 2 long days. I have used HIT for 2 years and had not hurt like this before.
Thanks for the help in advance

1)There's not a "way" to do drops, the only thing to care about when doing drops is getting the burn feeling in target muscles.You should experiment a little and find the way it burns more without overtaxing your CNS.
2)If you want 4 weeks of drops AND 2 weeks of negs you could do 2 weeks of 5s with drops plus 2 weeks of negs with drops too.

Boggy's advice on dropsets is on.

If you have no injuries, dropsets can help extend your cycle, because they keep the metabolic effect going.

Note: you don't need to add dropsets every workout; once a week is sufficient, and your cycle is less likely to burn you out.

Thanks for the help! I unfortunately have already done 4 wo of my 5's with dropsets, and never feel ready for the next wo. Very exhausted. I will cut back on the dropsets. It seemed like alot of people really valued the benefit of dropsets, so I thought more has to be better. I guess that only applies in protein and girls. Thanks again, Kevin. :)

Back