diet questions (again)

Totentanz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi. I know this probably gets asked every two days here, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer...

I'm trying to gain some weight on my HST cycle. However, I have a hard time eating enough to gain weight. Further, I have a high metabolism, so I think my maintenance is probably around 2000 - 2500 somewhere.

Anyway, my point: on workout days, I am always ravenously hungry all day (I workout in the morning before work) and have little difficulty getting 3000 calories in.
However, on my off days, I can't get more than between 2000 to 2500.

Can I expect to gain weight still if I just eat over maintenance on my workout days, or do I have to pack the calories in all week long?
I'd rather not gain a lot of fat while gaining weight, obviously. I think everyone hopes for that, but I'm realistic enough to realize that I am going to put on fat. So what is the ideal solution here?

It doesn`t matter how much you eat in a one day or the other. What counts is that your total energy consumption vs. total energy received in a longer time span. Etc. in a week it should be about +3000 kcals. If you can`t eat so much on rest days then eat big on those training days...

You really want to be sure not to go below maintenance on your off days, though. Diet can really make or break your success, so I suggest being very disciplined about tracking your calories. Don't just guess at what your maintenance needs are or how much you are eating on a given day. Jot it down -- its the only way to know.

Back