dhea

rjc

I have a question for all, is DHEA good for a older person, I turn 50 next month. From what I have read it is more effective for people over 35, also what doses would you take? Any input would be helpfull;

Thanks RJC

I'm no expert, but I'd encourage you to check out 7-keto DHEA.  It's a little safer -- from a bodybuilding standpoint -- since it supposedly can't be converted to estrogen.

I've been considering trying it myself for the purported anti-cortisol and thermogenic effects.  But there hasn't been much research done on it.

Twinlab and Kaizen both offer 7-keto DHEA products, and you can get mass quantities at kilosports.com.

Maybe you can be our guinea pig?   ;)

Seriously, I'd love to hear if anyone on this board has tried it.

I'm 47 and have been using DHEA for about 6 months.  Does it work?  Yes I think so.  I generally feel better and workouts are going well.  Bench presses are up 100 pounds over the past year though, of course, maybe that's just HST.  However anything I say about myself is anecdotal and you should study the literature.  A good starting point is an article by Pepping.  Pepping

It's pretty clear one should not take DHEA if one is older, a woman, or have any family history of prostate cancer

Since use of DHEA is hormone replacement therapy I use DHEA rather than 7-keto DHEA based upon the theory that I'm just trying to replace what I've lost.  Yes, it may produce some estrogens, but a guy needs a certain amount of those too and they may also be lower than they were in my youth.

Most of the DHEA is rapidly converted to the sufate form (DHEAS) or excreted.  DHEAS is the form that has the most prolonged effect.  I don't know if 7-keto DHEA can be converted to DHEAS or not.

Thanks Nematic for giving me the info on dhea. The only reason I was considering taking it is because I just turned 50 and thought it may help keep some muscle and lost fat.

thanks again;

rjc

I'm 51 and have been taking DHEA for about 5 years. I first starting taking some that I bought at my local health food store and saw no effects whatsoever.

I then had my blood level tested and they were literally in the tank.

I now take 75 mg per day. It is made by a compounding pharmacist. My DHEA level is now at the peak or slightly above for my age.

When I first started taking the "good stuff" by strength went up, I put on 8lbs of muscle and lost 14 lbs of fat in 10 weeks with out dieting or doing anything special.

My testosterone level however did not go up very much.

Still I'm quite happy with it.

Hope this helps.

George Culp

Back