deadlifts

Hi 90poundweakling, and welcome!
thumbs-up.gif

Overhand would be best for developing grip strength. It is also best for beginners in my opinion because it helps to keep everything in proper balance while "dialing in" the motion.

A mixed grip is stronger and allows me to lift more weight without straps. Since my goal is hypertrophy and my form is very well practiced, I use the mixed grip.

There has been discussion here and elsewhere about whether it would be wise to alternate hands when using a mixed grip. General consensus from the experienced lifters seems to be that no imbalances were created by years of unchanging mixed grip.

I personally always use my right hand underhand. My right shoulder has a nasty habit of trying to roll up on me and keeping my hand palm up tends to keep the shoulder in its biomechanically correct position.

We'll get to know you pretty soon, but in the meanwhile, the more information you give with your questions (goals, experience, injuries and/or biomechanical problems) the better answer you are likely to receive.

Happy hypertrophy!
Kate

Back