cutting cycle

basso

i have some Q on cutting ande especially cutting with HST.
1) when a person cuts, the musscles don't grow.(not begginers). so, will it matter what exercise i choose for a certain bodypart. example: will it matter if i'll do bench press ot inline bench press.
2) on the same note, does it matter how well my workout "impacts" (these goes to all the program: volume , fatigue ,hst-increasing load........). the only thing that's important is that i train every 5 days, isn't it?
3) taking in mind all that, what exercises should i choose for a cutting cycle? and what about compounds vs. isolation?

hope i was clear enough , and really hope you'll help me with this mess
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (basso @ Nov. 11 2005,8:17)]3) taking in mind all that, what exercises should i choose for a cutting cycle? and what about compounds vs. isolation?
Stick with compounds- they will preserve muscle mass while cutting better than isolation. Also, with reduced calories you won't have the gas to do the extra work (isolations). I defer to the more experience HST'ers on the other questions.
worship.gif

I found cutting a hard balance to maintain properly, and it can get discouraging when all those great mass gains seem to be slipping away.

I do appx 45 min - 1 hour weight workout - 2 days split (Upper/lower body) - 6 days per week. I do a larger number of exercises probably more than most, appx 12-15 for upper body and 8-10 lower body. However I do two sets on most exercises, except squats, calf raises, abs.

I finish off every workout with one hour on the treadmill elevated at fast walking speed. It is imperative to me that I maintain a pace that will allow me to breathe normally and carry on a conversation as I walk. This way I can monitor a high oxygen intake, necessary to burn FAT.

Doing it this way I don't worry about cutting and loss of lean muscle. I'm cutting all the time. My protein intake is 40% 30% carbs 30% fat.

I've continually got very good definitiion throughout my body, and I'm not busting out of all my clothes all the time. On balance I'd say my gains are as good as most BB that bulk and cut separately.  I do have to buy larger clothes periodically, but I don't go through all the baggy and tight clothes periods.

thumbs-up.gif

As for question 2 I do not suggest that you think that way of a cutting cycle.  Bryan has said to treat your training and your diet as two separate stimuli (couldnt find the post or I would just qoute him).  By this I mean train like you want to build muscle, but keep your diet as if you want to lose fat.
I dont think it would be wise to have an approach to the gym like it doesnt really matter what you do there as long as you show up 5 days a week.  Who wants to train like that anyway?  Take your workouts just as seriously as you would when bulking.

the hamma

You want to maintain performance on all your exercises - ideally you'd like to avoid strength loss.

I find it easier to stick to compounds...doing the 4-5 isolation exercises that many favour simply tires me out when I'm cutting.

But honestly, cutting and bulking should not differ with regard to the individual workouts.

regarding Q 2: it was a "what if?" question. i was just curios. i hadn't trained a week (injury) and i'm going crazy, so i wouldn't dare to miss a workout when i'm well.
and what about lucky Q number 1? ;) ?

pls.....anyone knows? i think it's interesting and more important - it's important( :confused: what a dumb sentance).

I'm not sure exactly what kind of answer you are looking for, Basso, but let me try: Inclines or flat bench are similar enough that it really doesn't matter. You really just want basic compound exercises for each body part. If you switched to partial range pec deck flyes it would matter! :)

The same routine that you would use to build muscle during a bulking phase would be the routine that allows you to maintain the most muscle during a cutting phase. The criteria for stimulus to the muscle does not change just because you have altered your caloric intake. Volume, frequency, load, etc. are still the basic factors. Lower calories MAY cause you to use a lighter load, but you should still be striving to increase just like you do during bulking.

Good luck!

Back