Current HST program

Reven

Well I have spent many hours reading about various aspects from the Vicious HST Pimp book and the sight. Probably read it 3 times the last few days as a refresher for this program, here it is (focus is on arms, specifically upper) Sorry if this is really long.

Type - split upper/lower body
Frequency - 5 times a week, could either be upper lower alternating each week or each week with upper first. What would you suggest for max arm growth?
Time frame - 10 weeks

Core
Upper Body
-Incline BB Press 2 sets
-Standing BB shoulder press 2 sets
-Flat BB Press 2 sets (will switch to dips by 10s at the latest)
-Close grip chins 3 sets (switch to wide grip chins when strong enough)
-DB rows 3 sets (switch to close grip cable rows once I pass the 100 lbs DB for 12 reps or maybe more!)
Lower Body
-SLDL BB (Cluster)??? with extra thick bar via cloth rap
-Squats BB (cluster)???
-Calf raises machine that sits like a chair but legs straight out
-Leg curls (lying machine)
This is all I am doing during the 15s, with a light run on leg day with 1 set for abs. I have not clustered yet as I am a little bit confused which type I should do and on which (I'll explain later).

Stretch Point During 10s
-Incline curls DB
-Overhead DB ext.
not a stretch point but added during 10s on leg day will be
-Leg Curls for 2 sets

Loaded Stretch During 5s and post 5s
Incline curl
Overhead DB ext.
Still haven’t decided time frame and cant recall amount of weight needed but from what I recall a lower time say 10-15 seconds to start then increase time and amount of stretch till end of cycle. Problem will my stretching the triceps I have a very difficult time doing so, should I just through weight on them and see how that goes?

Metabolic Work During 5s and post 5s
Upper Body Pulse sets 2 second concentric quick eccentric
Tricep Pushdowns 15 RM
Cable Bicep curls 15 RM
Notes
1) One work set
2) 10-15 Pulses
3) When you feel it's "easier", progress by increasing # of pulses and/or weight
Leg Day run 5 min cool down not included
-HIIT or see below
-Agility training W drill and line jumping

1) Problem with clusters is that I am not sure how/when to incorporate them. Originally I was thinking do them with everything via 45 reps for 15s, 30 for 5s, and 15 for 5s. But the problem for that is I need to specialize on arms. and the below quote.
“Cluster is the opposite of density training. Where the latter enables a given load to optimize aggregate metabolic stress (and MAPerk1/2 activity), cluster training enables a load to optimize net mechanical strain (and MAPKp38 activity.)”
So I take it that If one was to train all cluster style they would need to add in metabolic work for everything.

So should I only cluster the highly demanding lifts like SLDL and squats? What about everything on RM days, then just add in a set of 15s for everything as well? Or should I do normal progression then cluster just during negs? What style of clusters, I always stop before failure, but if I were to stop sooner say as soon as rep cadence slows wouldn’t this be clustering just with larger breaks, I think the less reps with shorter breaks would be more efficient??

Finally more grip training shall be added most likely during the 10s. I plan on adding pinch grip with the plates and maybe more thick bars on the pulling movements, sound good?

The last option I may incorporate could be the random arm work outs at home. This idea came from someone (Bob Evans or Old and Gray) here about the forearm training in the washroom.

Sorry for the rant but I just came off a long SD and have started the 15s on the second and need your input ASAP. So this post may not have been thought out the best. If anyone is interested in my results I have decided to keep a detailed journal of this schedule complete with starting stats, except the diet portion which shall not be kept. Main goal is larger upper arms but forearms need work to especially strength wise for the deadlifts. Also I’m trying not to lose anything on my deadlift and other large lifts thus not dropping the big four.

Back