Could you guys crtique this for me?

kingp

My Routine

I just did my first workout (15's). I left shoulder work out of this cycle to recover from overtraining the way I was working out before HST.

I had to change the increments on lat pull downs and seated rows because I couldn't get the 5lb rubber thing on the weight machine. So for example for both exercises on 15's my increments will be 90, 90, 100, 100, 110, 110 instead of what it shows on the image.

Are my increments ok? (I know I'm a weakling, hehe)

Patrick

:confused:

Hi Patrick-
THis looks pretty good, although your zig-zagging seems somewhat extreme. I'd repeat the weights like you do for the pulldowns. THis will help you to avoid waiting till the third or fourth (or fifth, as you do on leg curls) w/o before you get to the previous RM. In fact, you might even want to adjust your 15RMs down, so as to minimize the zig-zags. FOr example, try taking your 15RM for leg curls down to 90lbs. Then, your increments would look like this:

15s: 70 70 80 80 90 90
10s: 100 100 110 110 120 120
5s: 115 115 125 125 135 135

There are other ways to work this... this is just a suggestion.
Jake

Well, I have all but officially scrapped my whole HST routine. I made it into the first couple of workouts of the 10's and felt like I was using ineffective weights. I got that feeling with the first couple workouts of 15's but by performing the reps slow, I could sort of get an effective "feel" out of the workout.

I guess there was too much zig-zagging which led to the excessive time with low weights. Adding a second set (plus warm-ups) to every lift did help keep my interest by making my workout feel like I was hitting my muscles adequately, but I still always felt like I could have done more for the areas I wanted to prioritize (mainly upper body).

I do like HST very much, but I think that my routine just wasn't planned out as well as it could have been. I have a hard time understanding how you can increment a low weight 18 times through out a cycle. If I have a 5 rep max for bicep curls of 60 or 70 lbs, I feel like I would just have to constantly repeat weights to prevent starting each micro-cycle (or whatever you'd like to call it) with an ineffective weight. I also think that it is important to have as big a difference in 5 - 10 - 15 rep maxes as possible in each exercise. I had 15-45, 10-50, and 5-60 for curls. This would make it nescessary for me to zig zag alot, repeat weights alot, and how high could I possibly increment such a small number?

anyways..... I might give HST a try again at another time with a better thought out routine and/or a training partner. I really do like alot of the principles involved.

Patrick

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well, I have all but officially scrapped my whole HST routine. I made it into the first couple of workouts of the 10's and felt like I was using ineffective weights.
Hey Patrick,
Give HST a cycle before bailing.
You're on your 3rd day of 10's right ?
Try this example for curls (and all your exercises)
-------10---------|--------5----------|--------Neg-------|
xx,xx,45,45,50,50|45,50,55,55,60,60|---------65?-------|
Yes, you will repeat weights the last couple days of 10's
and lower the first day of 5's. However you will need
a little break after the 10's RM (I promise)
Hey what have you got to loose it's only 5 more weeks
Give this a shot before giving up on your first cycle.

Patrick,

I think you could do your curls something like:

15: 20-25-30-35-40-45
10: 40-40-45-45-50-50
5: 45-50-55-55-60-60

and be just fine. Repeating workout weights is OK, especially later in the cycle (later 10s & 5s).

If you apply the same principle to your other lifts, I think you would be in good shape. The spread between your RMs doesn't have to be large; remember, it's all about progressive loading over time, not about hitting set weights & reps.

Back