Could use some guidance

[xeno]Julios

Hi all, new to this place, and finding it very intruiging.
I'm 25 yrs old, classic ectomorph, longer in the legs, and arms, and used to weigh 118 pounds @ 5'10, and after eating healthily and doing 3-4 months of 2 day a week HIT training, I'm now just under 160 pounds. (no supplements or shakes - just healthy food). I had very well conditioned muscles before I started lifting weights - worked as a truck stacker, naturally lean, good vascularity, etc - just very thin.
Admittedly, a lot of this weight has been gained on my glutes, quads, and hams, but my arms have thickened out quite a bit, and my shoulders and lats have developed nicely. My chest has also become a bit more "3d" but is laggin behind (probably because the only exercise i do for chest is weighted leaning dips).
I do each exercise once a week, and split my body up into 2 days (mon and fri).
here are the exercises i've been using:
*Squats - 20 rep breathing style (parallel) - 1 set each week
*SL deadlifts - 2 sets of 5-7 reps once a week
*Weighted chins - 2 sets once a week
*Weighted leaning dips - 2 sets once a week
*Bent Over Rows - 2 sets a week
*Military Presses - 2 sets a week
*Standing Calf Raises - 2 sets a week
*Barbell Curls - 2 sets a week
*somtimes if i have time i'll throw in dumbell preacher hammers, and/or skull crushers
I've found that I have a knack for SL deadlifts - Last week I lifted 220 pounds 2 sets of 5 reps (my forearms gave out early - i don't use wrist wraps or gloves, but will start using chalk), so I'd like to incorporate this exercise into my HST plan when I'm ready. I also bend my knees slightly while doing the deadlift. (perhaps 15-25 degrees)
I have never done any leg presses, leg curls, or leg extensions, but am open to the suggestion that I should start.
I've noticed that with most of my exercises, I can only lift half the reps on my second set - this is especially so with chins, barbell curls, and dips. I go to failure on the first set at around 8 reps, but on second i can only pull 4 if i'm lucky - sometimes 2 or 3. And this is with a 3-5 minute break in between and plenty of water, and without any form of pyramidding (my weight remains constant for both sets). I wonder if this will give anyone some clues as to my physiological makeup?
I don't think I warmup properly (yet) - for chins i use a pulldown machine for 15 light reps, and for dips i do 15 pushups, and i do 5-7 min of light cycling before my workout. Sometimes for bent overs and SL deads, i'll do 15 reps of a lighter weight, but that's about it.
I also don't have a training partner, which is one reason I never started doing incline presses.
Since I work and have school, it is impractical for me to do the am/pm 3 days a week, however I am certainly able to find time to do 3 days a week in the evenings.
My left arm is also significantly weaker (tho not as much now) than my right - due to an injury where i snapped my left arm in half, and was never given rehab or told about it (i was 16 at the time). This is really only a hinderance in barbell curls, which means I should probably switch to dumbell curls. (i'm @ 80 pound barbell curls but can only do 5 reps on first set, tho it's after 2 sets of weighted chins, and 2 sets of bent over rows, so biceps by then are fairly low on energy)
Squats I've constantly been reforming my form, and each time i do so i start over at 95 pounds - at current i'm doing 100-105 pounds with what i think is perfect form to parallel at 15-20 reps.
I am having major problems with my military presses. I find that after the bar reaches my head, I can't help arching my back - i've even tried sitting down on a bench with back support, but my back still arches - and i think i've sustained a minor bruise on one of my lumbar (half way down my back).
With skull crushers I also find the motion weird - not sure what the proper form is, and it's hard to keep elbows motionless unless someone is holding them...
Now that I've given my background, perhaps someone can give me some advice on how to design a productive HST routine - I think I understand the basics - 2 week blocks with each rep range - 9-12 day layoffs after each cycle, etc - what I'm more concerned here is selecting exercises (e.g. I want to incorporate incline presses to supplement my weighted dips)
Also - the dipping bars are only about 50-60 centimetres apart (from memory) - is that wide enough for leaning dips that hit the chest? I've also heard that to hit the chest u don't have to lean forward, but have to use wide dipping bars - i'm a bit confused about this.
Another thing I'm curious about - are incline curls, if done correctly, not more effective, since the weight is going against gravity for more of the motion? (one of the few things I gleaned from the AJ's Nautilus bulletins)
If it will help, I will post some pics (before and after)
thanks in advance to anyone who's patient enough to read :)
-Marwan

edit: just came across some info on another thread, and realized that I've been doing Romanian Deadlifts rather than Stiff legged!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ([xeno]Julios @ May 31 2003,6:25)]Hi all, new to this place, and finding it very intruiging.
I'm 25 yrs old, classic ectomorph, longer in the legs, and arms, and used to weigh 118 pounds @ 5'10, and after eating healthily and doing 3-4 months of 2 day a week HIT training, I'm now just under 160 pounds. (no supplements or shakes - just healthy food). I had very well conditioned muscles before I started lifting weights - worked as a truck stacker, naturally lean, good vascularity, etc - just very thin.
Admittedly, a lot of this weight has been gained on my glutes, quads, and hams, but my arms have thickened out quite a bit, and my shoulders and lats have developed nicely. My chest has also become a bit more "3d" but is laggin behind (probably because the only exercise i do for chest is weighted leaning dips).
I do each exercise once a week, and split my body up into 2 days (mon and fri).
here are the exercises i've been using:
*Squats - 20 rep breathing style (parallel) - 1 set each week
*SL deadlifts - 2 sets of 5-7 reps once a week
*Weighted chins - 2 sets once a week
*Weighted leaning dips - 2 sets once a week
*Bent Over Rows - 2 sets a week
*Military Presses - 2 sets a week
*Standing Calf Raises - 2 sets a week
*Barbell Curls - 2 sets a week
*somtimes if i have time i'll throw in dumbell preacher hammers, and/or skull crushers
I've found that I have a knack for SL deadlifts - Last week I lifted 220 pounds 2 sets of 5 reps (my forearms gave out early - i don't use wrist wraps or gloves, but will start using chalk), so I'd like to incorporate this exercise into my HST plan when I'm ready. I also bend my knees slightly while doing the deadlift. (perhaps 15-25 degrees)
I have never done any leg presses, leg curls, or leg extensions, but am open to the suggestion that I should start.
I've noticed that with most of my exercises, I can only lift half the reps on my second set - this is especially so with chins, barbell curls, and dips. I go to failure on the first set at around 8 reps, but on second i can only pull 4 if i'm lucky - sometimes 2 or 3. And this is with a 3-5 minute break in between and plenty of water, and without any form of pyramidding (my weight remains constant for both sets). I wonder if this will give anyone some clues as to my physiological makeup?
I don't think I warmup properly (yet) - for chins i use a pulldown machine for 15 light reps, and for dips i do 15 pushups, and i do 5-7 min of light cycling before my workout. Sometimes for bent overs and SL deads, i'll do 15 reps of a lighter weight, but that's about it.
I also don't have a training partner, which is one reason I never started doing incline presses.
Since I work and have school, it is impractical for me to do the am/pm 3 days a week, however I am certainly able to find time to do 3 days a week in the evenings.
My left arm is also significantly weaker (tho not as much now) than my right - due to an injury where i snapped my left arm in half, and was never given rehab or told about it (i was 16 at the time). This is really only a hinderance in barbell curls, which means I should probably switch to dumbell curls. (i'm @ 80 pound barbell curls but can only do 5 reps on first set, tho it's after 2 sets of weighted chins, and 2 sets of bent over rows, so biceps by then are fairly low on energy)
Squats I've constantly been reforming my form, and each time i do so i start over at 95 pounds - at current i'm doing 100-105 pounds with what i think is perfect form to parallel at 15-20 reps.
I am having major problems with my military presses. I find that after the bar reaches my head, I can't help arching my back - i've even tried sitting down on a bench with back support, but my back still arches - and i think i've sustained a minor bruise on one of my lumbar (half way down my back).
With skull crushers I also find the motion weird - not sure what the proper form is, and it's hard to keep elbows motionless unless someone is holding them...
Now that I've given my background, perhaps someone can give me some advice on how to design a productive HST routine - I think I understand the basics - 2 week blocks with each rep range - 9-12 day layoffs after each cycle, etc - what I'm more concerned here is selecting exercises (e.g. I want to incorporate incline presses to supplement my weighted dips)
Also - the dipping bars are only about 50-60 centimetres apart (from memory) - is that wide enough for leaning dips that hit the chest? I've also heard that to hit the chest u don't have to lean forward, but have to use wide dipping bars - i'm a bit confused about this.
Another thing I'm curious about - are incline curls, if done correctly, not more effective, since the weight is going against gravity for more of the motion? (one of the few things I gleaned from the AJ's Nautilus bulletins)
If it will help, I will post some pics (before and after)
thanks in advance to anyone who's patient enough to read :)
-Marwan
edit: just came across some info on another thread, and realized that I've been doing Romanian Deadlifts rather than Stiff legged!
no problem in reading that, but i'm curious what your actual questions are...

i can't really give you specifics of biomechanics for you, as i can't watch you perform the movement. in terms of incline curls being more effective due to gravity...i believe arthur jones would have said LESS effective if you mean the variant where you're leaning back in a seat/bench, as the most resistant part of the ROM is in the initial couple dozen degrees (the halfway point is already beyond the point of greatest resistance). however, incline curls are one of the few exercises that really 'stretch' the biceps at the bottom of the eccentric, and for this reason may have good hypertrophic qualities (particularly for trained/resistant tissue).

but yah...you looking for help setting a specific routine up? basically, stick to the outline and select a good 6 to 10 compound exercises (that you already prefer), make sure you know your RM's, take a couple weeks off (i'm a big believer in longer than default strategic deconditioning recommendations of 9 to 12 days, i think 12 to 14 is better) and give it a go. for more specifics...yah, just ask :)

Ah now i understand the stretch thing - and yes come to think of it, AJ would have corrected me - i'm terrible with visual-spatial stuff hehe.

Ok - let's see... specific questions:

1) Given that I seem to tire out fast (coz i can only do half the reps on my second set), does this mean I should devise a more abbreviated warmup strategy?

2) Since I have probs with military press, what could I do to substitute for them? (or any tips on overcoming my issues with it?) Is shoulder press same thing as overhead press (which is same thing as military press?)

3) Calf raises - the way i do them now is with a loaded barbell - i'm not going with super heavy weights, since it's scary with a heavy barbell on my shoulders - i'm at 240 pounds now, tho my calves are capable of stronger loads. Is it ok to use smith machine? (reason i wouldn't want to is coz it forces an unnatural groove, tho with the short vertical displacement yielded with calf raises, this might not be a prob?)

thx for response

[b said:
Quote[/b] ([xeno]Julios @ May 31 2003,9:30)]Ah now i understand the stretch thing - and yes come to think of it, AJ would have corrected me - i'm terrible with visual-spatial stuff hehe.
Ok - let's see... specific questions:
1) Given that I seem to tire out fast (coz i can only do half the reps on my second set), does this mean I should devise a more abbreviated warmup strategy?
2) Since I have probs with military press, what could I do to substitute for them? (or any tips on overcoming my issues with it?) Is shoulder press same thing as overhead press (which is same thing as military press?)
3) Calf raises - the way i do them now is with a loaded barbell - i'm not going with super heavy weights, since it's scary with a heavy barbell on my shoulders - i'm at 240 pounds now, tho my calves are capable of stronger loads. Is it ok to use smith machine? (reason i wouldn't want to is coz it forces an unnatural groove, tho with the short vertical displacement yielded with calf raises, this might not be a prob?)
thx for response

yah, take it easy on the warmup. to boot, every microcycle of hst has you starting at weights that are relatively 'light' for you, so i think warming up (at least for the first few sessions) isn't even really necessary. don't hurt yourself, of course...

What are your problems? I just looked over your original post and couldn't find it...

If you have some sort of contraindication (eg your arm injury), you could always substitute something like lateral raises. i find my shoulders, personally, get a lot of work doing other pressing movements (dips, bench and such).

The main potential drawback to this approach is that 1) you have a very limited ROM 2) due to #1, you have very limited stretch and 3) calves are pretty naturally resistant to mechanical load, as they bear the load of the body and such. I think most have found calf raises with a deep stretch to be the most effective, so you might want to consider some variant that allows you to achieve this. i've seen people do this with a leg press, on an actual calf raise machine...i personally use a dip belt and load up weights and do it one leg at a time on a stair while bracing myself. works pretty well.

Here's a few answers:
1. increase the rest time between the first and second set. You will recover more and will be able to lift more. Try resting 2 minutes between sets.

2. Everyone arches their back when using heavy weights, or getting near failure. Just try and stay strict. I also like to look upward. Pick a spot on the wall about 3-4 feet above eye level. Also military/shoulder/overhead press can be done so the bar goes behind your neck and not to the front. This might help reduce back arching. Concentrate on moving the shoulder out and up. Don't think about pushing with your arms/triceps. This will help you focus more on shoulders.

3. Try just holding the bar for calf raises. Might have to get some wrist straps. I hold a barbell and do 1 legged calf raises.

Alternative answers:

1. Don't worry about it. You don't need to hit your rep target on the second set. If you want to get the reps in, make it three sets. E.g., 10, then 7, then 3. Once you're out of the 15's, reps are reps, any way you spread em'.

2. You can also try dumbell shoulder presses; they allow the most natural path because there's no bar going through your head. I find that I do the best doing them one-armed; it cuts the total load on my back in half -- and then I have a way to do negatives later: two arms up, one arm down.

3. Single calf is the way to go. Many people will quickly max out what they can safely handle, weight-wise, for calf raises if they do both at once. When you go to single-calf, not only do you double the carried weight, you also double your body weight. So, for a 200 pound person, doing a one-legged calf raise with 100 pounds loaded is like doing a two-legged calf raise with 400 pounds loaded, which can be tough on the back.

thanks for the replies guys - not sure what you mean about doing the dumbell shoulder presses one-armed, or how that would help for negatives tho

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]2. You can also try dumbell shoulder presses; they allow the most natural path because there's no bar going through your head. I find that I do the best doing them one-armed; it cuts the total load on my back in half -- and then I have a way to do negatives later: two arms up, one arm down.

I understand the bar not going through head - makes sense...

but doing them one-armed - what do you mean by this? one dumbell in each arm? But only going one arm at a time? But how do u then increased the eccentric load when u use 2 arms? Do you let go of one of the dumbells and transfer it to the other arm and then lower that arm? Isn't this dangerous?

Also - one armed motion - seems that it'd cause an imbalance in the spine no?

As for calf raises - good suggestions - i have a dipping belt, so i could use that and do some standing one legged raises while bracing something.

Yes, your back will not be ramrod straight when doing one-armed dumbell shoulder presses. Instead, you will naturally center your body under the weight with a compensatory curve in your spine. I find it much more comfortable, especially at the heavy weights. With two heavy shoulder weights, I get pain in my lower back whether sitting or standing. Single-armed, I'm always good.

As far as the negatives: I just use both hands to raise it up straight from my chest. Overhead, I switch to holding it in one hand, and let it down slowly to my shoulder. I end the motion by rotating it in towards my chest (kinda like the end of an Arnold press) and then add my other hand.

I find it feels very safe and secure. If I'm doing my right side, for example, my right hand never lets go. My left hand wraps on and off.

thanks again for replies - the earlier i learn the sooner i can help :)

can anyone respond to this?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also - the dipping bars are only about 50-60 centimetres apart (from memory) - is that wide enough for leaning dips that hit the chest? I've also heard that to hit the chest u don't have to lean forward, but have to use wide dipping bars - i'm a bit confused about this.

keep in mind i do have fairly long arms...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ([xeno]Julios @ June 02 2003,6:37)]thanks again for replies - the earlier i learn the sooner i can help :)
can anyone respond to this?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also - the dipping bars are only about 50-60 centimetres apart (from memory) - is that wide enough for leaning dips that hit the chest? I've also heard that to hit the chest u don't have to lean forward, but have to use wide dipping bars - i'm a bit confused about this.
keep in mind i do have fairly long arms...
You do have to lean forward, or else it's a triceps exercise. You need reasonably wide bars so that pecs do not enter active insufficiency, but not too wide because of passive insufficiency, reduced ROM and shoulder stress. If it feels narrow, then it probably is. Try to lean forward as much as possible.

Back