Cluster-HST

OneMoreRep

Viscious,who-ever can answer the following..

i was wondering what % increment should be used and what  how long should each be used for? for example;

(6 days a week schedule)

(Each % of 5RM)

60% x 2-3 W/Os
65% x 2-3 W/Os

70% x 2-3 W/Os
75% x 3-4 W/Os

80% x 3-4 W/Os
85% x 3-4 W/Os

90% x 4-5 W/Os
95% x 4-5 W/Os

100% x 4-7 W/Os

Would something like this work? following the guidelines you have provided???

If not what would you recommend ??
thanks man!

Let me reiterate that Cluster HST is derived from a translation. That and 912 is going into the next E-book, but I don't do Cluster HST.

Yeah, your increments look pretty good OneMoreRep. I would recommend that beyond 85% to switch to negatives or strong-range partials (with pulling movements only.) Although you could cluster at 90% and 95%, it's not easy with the target # of reps that is usually associated with Cluster HST.

Definitely add in a 15-rep set after all of your proper work sets. Cluster HST generally induces less metabolic stress than normal HST, and so you have to bring this back up with some extra metabolic work.

If you end up adding isolation or stretch-point movements, shoot for roughly half the # of target reps.

Cluster HST, for many people, takes a long, long time. If this becomes an issue, consider some form of AM/PM split.

cheers,
Jules

suppose you just stick to the regular classic HST however you do "cluster" sets until a target total # reps what do you think of this?

Yup, you can do that too, though you would want to still do 15 contiguous reps during 15s. So, one way to do is to shoot for x*15 reps for 15s, (x+1)*10 reps for 10s, and between (x+2)*5 and (x+3)*5 reps for 5s.

Personally, I more inclined to do a combination of cluster and density training (which would mimic Gironda and the 20-rep scheme.) This is one of the things I'm testing out myself and will include in the next e-book.

In such a scheme . . .

15s
Shoot for 35 reps using 5-rep clusters with 15-30 second rest periods. (The burn will be fairly high at the end.) This is similar to the Gironda 6x6 setup (i.e. how to turn light weight into DOMS-inducing pain.)

10s
Shoot for 20 clustered reps. Try to do 1 second rest periods. In effect, the 20-rep squat applied to all movements.

5s
Shoot for 15-20 clustered reps. 1-15 second rest periods. I.e. rest-pause training

cheers,
Jules

yes i don't think i made it clear enough...

what i meant is basically do EXACTLY what you'd do for the classic HST, EXCEPT after the initial set in which you MUST complete the target rep count (of 15, 10 or 5) you would continue each subsiquent set (stopping EACH set before failure) until u reach the cumulative aim of your target rep-count.

know what i am saying?

Back