Callisthenics Endurance Training

Mad Amos

Hello gang,

I'm currently following a WO than involves improving my max number of reps for common callisthenic movements (e.g. chin-ups. push-ups, etc.).

Does anyone have any advice on the frequency with which this should be pursued? IOW, is every day too often or would an every-other-day approach more efficacious?

Thanks in advance!

I haven't tried this myself, but I guess that if you are able to already do a lot of reps, i.e. more than twenty, you could train every day. Also, rather than doing one set to failure, stay some reps short of failure and do more sets. After all, this is supposed to increase strength-endurance, so you need lots of volume. Pavel Tsatsouline and Matt Furey offer a lot of ideas for calisthenics workouts, do a web search.

However, if you are beyond beginner's stage, this style of training probably won't have much effect on your max strength and size. It might improve your functional strength and athletic abilities, though.

Some people claim that calisthenics alone is better than weight training for gaining sports strength, but those people have clearly never heard of the SAID principle.

Back