Caffeine/Carbs and insulin sensitivity

Steve McDermott

Ok, So recently there has been this sudden movement against caffeine. The argument seems to be that when you consume caffeine in any form it decreases insulin sensitivity for anywhere from 3-5 hours. This obviously includes anything with ephedrine and caffeine in it. I haven't read the studies myself, so I'm wondering if anyone else has. I know that John Beradi bashed it at T-mag, but I also realize that Biotest is discontiuing MD6 and releasing a new non-caffeine containing fat burner. So, I would like to know what you guys think.

Steve

Thanks for the link VC.  I guess I'll just do what I always do and keep everything in moderation until something more definative comes up.  

Steve

has Biotest announced they would no longer contain caffeine in their fat burner - I thought it was just ephedrine??

Any Biotest insider out there?

Caffein does temporarily decrease insulin sensitivity. So does anything else that is "lipolytic". I have read the study(s).

Exercise was shown to negate (reverse) the effect of the caffeine. This is because of what is called non-insulin dependant glucose uptake.

Anything that stimulates the release of noradrenaline or adrenaline will decrease insulin sensitivity. Even an increase in blood levels of released fatty acids will decrease insulin sensitivity. Its called the glucose fatty acid cycle, or the Randle Cycle. This is because the fat cell's "machinery" is not designed to store and release fuel at the same time. This would be counter productive. The only exception is exercise, where the body wants to release fuel from fat cells at the moment, but increase its ability to take in fuel to replace what it lost from muscle as fast as possible afterwards (or "during" exercise in the case of muscle tissue).

No need to panic about caffeine and insulin sensitivity. Its effects on insulin sensitivity have been known for a long time.

Once again, thanks Bryan. I did read an abstract in the link VC posted, and it mentioned the exercise variable and that it negates the insulin sensitivity. Makes sense to me.

Steve

Thanks for the link Timm, I haven't had a chance to read the whole thing yet, but I will tonight. What I have read is interesting though.

Much appreciated,

Steve

Back