Body Alignment/posture

adpowah

So I recently went to a massage therpist/physio and she let me know I am pretty jacked up (she's only in my area three times a year). Hips are out of alignment, overly tight psoas on one side, neck and shoulder pain/tightness. I have the book "Supple Leopard" by Kelly Starett which is great for the explanations on how to loosen these areas up but he doesn't really explain how to correct my posture or measure my shoulders/hips etc for misalignment. So I was hoping for some more great suggestions on a book/youtube channel or some other resources on how to improve my posture and untwist my body.

First bit is to make sure this is legit advice and not quackery. For example, many chiropractors will say your spine needs realignment even though actually changing the alignment of the vertebrae would probably result in paralysis.

If legit then you can begin to address some of that.

I think she's legit, she's a family friend, did it for free, and pointed out similar things to what others have said in the past so I am inclined to agree with her assessment. A few things she had me do was just walk around then come to a stop and stand in my best posture. One foot was in front of the other by about an inch or two, the same side my hip was farther forward. She figured it was because one side of my psoas was tight so we messed with that and it seemed to fix the issue for a day or so. My shoulders are uneven, one is a little more forward and up and the other is back and down. I can barely see it myself but my wife says its pretty noticeable (and has in the past too).

She worked on my neck and pecs too and showed me some good muscle/myofacial releases. Along with the book I mentioned above, I feel like I have a few tools but I don't really know how to work towards better posture/alignment or what goals to work towards. Like you mentioned I am trying to avoid the quackery myself so I was looking for some suggestions for source material since you and some others always have good suggestions.

I'm not super into a blindly believing a doctor about treatment and accepting whatever advice they give so I would like to become at least marginally educated so even if I visit this lady 1-3 times a year it's not just for perpetual treatment but instead that I am actively working towards becoming self sufficient in keeping my body balanced.

Firstly, chiropractor's are not doctors... Well okay, they may hold a PhD, but they are not physicians... Not here in Canada anyways.
Chiropractic treatment isn't recognized by the college of physicians and surgeon's.
Massage therapy is a little sketchy too... Physiologist's are legit I think.

Back