Blood Test Results

GJM

I am 19 years old, and I recently got some blood work done because I was experiencing depression and I require about 10-12 hours of sleep a night to feel rested.The results showed that I had a low DHEA sulfate level(209),low thyroid(my TSH level was 5.52), and low adrenals. My doctor(who is a regular MD but is also into using natural treatments) prescribed the folowing:

1)DHEA-30 to 50mg per day

2)Armour Thyroid(which is simply a non-synthetic form of thyroid hormone)-60mg per day

3)An over the counter supplement called IsoCort which contains freeze dried adrenal cortex-30mg per day

4)An over the counter supplement called Drenamin and a supplement called Symplex M(these are both glandular therapy supplements, which means that they contain actual animal glands and are intended to nourish those corresponding glands in humans ) which contains bovine orchic extract, bovine adrenal extract, bovine pituitary extract, and bovine thyroid extract.

My questions are:

1)I am curious what your opinion is on the above approach of treatment. Are all of these supplements/medications safe and benificial in the long run?Is there anything else I should be taking?

2)I was concerned about the DHEA and Thyroid suppressing my natural levels even further, but my doctor told me that it should actually slightly raise my natural DHEA and thyroid output because it will give the glands that produce it a chance to "rest". Is this correct?

3)Out of curiosity, would low levels of the above have an effect on muscle growth?

4)Which one do you feel is better, DHEA or 7-keto DHEA?My doctor initially prescribed DHEA but then said that the 7-keto DHEA would be fine when I expressed that I was slightly concerned about it converting to estrogen, not sure if that would even be a problem at such a low dose though.

Thanks very much for any information, it will be very appreciated. :)

Back