BARBELL ROW 10x3
ROMANIAN DEAD LIFT 3x10

C.)
MILITARY PRESS 10x3
FRONT SQUAT 3x10

D.)
CHEST SUPPORTED ROW 10x3
DEAD LIFT 10x1

Basically a PUSH/PULL 2on 1 off to start, more rest days may be added as the weeks go by in the form of morphing to an EOD and even to a 3x/wk by cycles end (only if needed). I also may knock down to 3x3 and 1x10 for a few weeks at the end - I would imagine this will keep me going for any where from 8-12 weeks total.

Loads will be 80% + for the 10x3's and the volume sets will be fairly conservative starting percentages to keep from stalling , the 10x1 deads will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 85% to start.

It was highly tempting to throw in upright rows and a barbell curl somewhere in the programming but I have a good feeling about this as is.

Thoughts, critiques, questions etc. are all welcomed...
smile.gif

I highly recommend if basics is what you like use Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength Basic Barbell Training Program. You will save a lot of time instead of trying to experiment and formulate your own system all by yourself. Although if you have a good plan and complexities seem to not bother you, you can of course formulate your own system and philosophies of your training program. If it really works for you why not? Everybody is different and different things works for different people. But generally Rippetoe's program will teach you the basics, it is after the basics that you can go and formulate what system do you want to do or to follow. The most important thing in training is really your brain and you have to use that first brother.
biggrin.gif

Sounds interesting.  I'm assuming for the 10x3s that you mean 80% of your 1 RM?  Is that accurate?

How do you do your chest supported rows?  Do you have an apparatus for it, a cambered bar or do you just use a bar and lay on a bench?  I badly want to do chest supported rows but cannot afford a separate piece of equipment or a cambered bar...  curious how you do it.

I would really like to try a program pretty much identical to this one someday. Maybe after I stop my bulk, cut and then begin to bulk again...

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jun. 06 2009,3:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Sounds interesting.  I'm assuming for the 10x3s that you mean 80% of your 1 RM?  Is that accurate?

How do you do your chest supported rows?  Do you have an apparatus for it, a cambered bar or do you just use a bar and lay on a bench?  I badly want to do chest supported rows but cannot afford a separate piece of equipment or a cambered bar...  curious how you do it.

I would really like to try a program pretty much identical to this one someday.  Maybe after I stop my bulk, cut and then begin to bulk again...</div>
1) Yes

2) I just use my bench, blocks (to raise it) , and a barbell under. I throw a pillow on to cushion the abdomen/lower chest area , I put from groin up on the bench,legs hang off and &quot;planted&quot; on floor (I've seen others set up differently and their legs swing about when doing max efforts - unsightly AND inefficient), and pull the same line of motion as bench(same grip spacing too). If I could only do one row I would do these- it saves lower back for deads , overheads and squats and it's impossible to cheat. I like these as a  strength movement and &quot;regular&quot; Barbell rows for volume. Sometimes for fun you can do heavy partials by not using blocks - I find these hammer the rear delts better than regular rows and IMHO have a better carry over to bench. With machines it truly is a &quot;chest&quot; supported row but with bench it's actually upper abdomen that bears the body weight most (for me anyway) -this might seem uncomfortable at first but just like front squats in no time at all it's a non-issue even with max efforts.

3)  Yeah I've been getting around to doing this for several cycles now - I've always thrived on low rep high set parameters and felt that much of the auxiliary work after a good limb ripping 10x3 (once the cycle progresses into the higher intensities) was a bit of a mute point and just eating up recovery- at the same time I've always recognized the need for SOME volume and auxiliary work.  This is about as focused as I could imagine without dropping to a lift a day. I think I've got a pretty good feel for when to drop sets and frequency after years of doing triples so these would be the parameters that I've left open to reducing as the cycle progresses.

Thanks for the interest.

I have a good feeling about this routine - I'll let you know how it's going.
wink.gif

<div>
(ryder22 @ Jun. 06 2009,2:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I highly recommend if basics is what you like use Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength Basic Barbell Training Program. You will save a lot of time instead of trying to experiment and formulate your own system all by yourself. Although if you have a good plan and complexities seem to not bother you, you can of course formulate your own system and philosophies of your training program. If it really works for you why not? Everybody is different and different things works for different people. But generally Rippetoe's program will teach you the basics, it is after the basics that you can go and formulate what system do you want to do or to follow. The most important thing in training is really your brain and you have to use that first brother.
biggrin.gif
</div>
Starting strength rocks - no doubt about it! And I'm sure if it had been in print over twenty years ago when I first started I would have followed it religiously.

Good advice though and appreciated!
smile.gif

Back