Ab training?

Crackerman

Hi all,

i was just wondering how i should approach ab training using HST.

Are the principles the same for abs as they are for the larger more dominant muscle groups? Should i follow the same 15/10/5 rep progression? What exercises should i use and how many sets should i do?

I work out at home so my exercise options are limited.

Cheers ;)

I did abs HST-style. They blew up! I don't train them any more; otherwise they'd be too big. The plus side is I can now see all 8 at over 10% bodyfat. But do be careful. Huge abs are gross.

-Calkid

I can't seem to do it, despite my best effort. I have tried rope crunch, machine crunch, swiss ball w/ weight, decline with weight. The problem that I have is either I run out weight on the stack before I hit 5 reps, or I lose focus on ab (I lose burning censation) probably because I recruiting too much hip flexor, back, etc. to move the weight.

Please, Calkid, enlighten me on your protocol so I can get my abs to punch through.
worship.gif

Just weighted ab crunch. I think the machine was a cybex, if that helps. I had that problem too, after one cycle I could max out the stack + weight for more than 5. After halfway through the subsequent cycle I stopped abs though.

Oh, and just cause it's not burning doesn't mean it's not working. I'd expect burn during 15's and maybe 10's, but you should NOT have a burn during the 5's.

-Calkid

Hmm. I think my 5RM was the machine's max. After one cycle I had to start adding those extra plates on top for like 2.5-5 pounds each. I had three on it for over 5 reps.

It can be hard when using these to isolate abs and not include hip flexors.

-Calkid

how do you do a weighted ab crunch? Also - what range of motion do you use?

is it important to keep your back completely straight, and maintain the arch?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ([xeno]Julios @ June 07 2003,2:40)]is it important to keep your back completely straight, and maintain the arch?
Julios,

Actually, you want just the opposite. Here is a pic of rectus abdominis, the muscle responsible for Cal's nice 8-pack. ;)

Rectus Abdominis

Please note that the muscle is attached to the lower part of the pelvic girdle and the bottom of the rib cage. It's "job" is to flex the lumbar spine. Your lower back should be bending and unbending with each repetition.

Many people work their abs isometrically with leg lifts and sit ups with very little motion in their lower back. However, to work this muscle properly, you need to treat it like any other muscle... you bring the two attachments together in a controlled motion against resistance while forcing said muscle to perform the job it was "designed" to perform.

Try this to get a feel for what I am saying: Lie on your back on the floor with your knees bent. Slowly press your back into the floor and picture your spine curling up one segment at a time as you squeeze your hips and ribs together.

Don't throw yourself up and don't be in a hurry to get there... using momentum takes the resistance off the targeted muscle. I like to tell my clients to picture a rolly-poly or pillbug if you've seen one of those... As you slowly lower yourself back to your starting postion, try to feel the abs resisting. At the bottom of the motion you should be able to slide a hand between your lower back and the floor.

Doing this motion on the floor is fairly simple once you get a feel for it. It's a lot tougher to keep this motion going while on a machine, because it's a lot easier to allow the "wrong" muscle to do the job for you.

I'd recommend you do some good old fashioned crunches on the floor as a warm up to train proper motion in the abs (in the massage biz we call this neuromuscular reeducation) and then try to reproduce it while doing weighted work.

Once you 've got the form and progression figured out, do remember this. The two best exercises to perform to really bring those abs out? Putting down the fork and moving away from the table. ;) Past a certain point it really is about diet.

Kate

What helps me rationalize it is to realize that the rectus abdominus is the functional antagonist of the erector spinae. All it does it curve the spine, while erector spinae straightens it.

Whereas the iliopsoas (hip flexors), what you work when you do leg raises, are the functional antagonist of the glutes.

-Calkid

Yes, the iliopsoas, a muscle worked to often when trying to hit the abs. Especially in boxing training.

As for the question if HST effective when it comes to abs?
I must confess for me it isn't. Every time i try it i loose enormous amounts of strenght and size. I can't seem to understand why it isn't working, as it's a musclegroup like any other, but it seems it isn't. I still prefer doing about 15 mins of unweighted and weighted work.

PPP

Back