a few questions please

mikemazz

I am new to this hst training so please bare with me. I have read 19 pages of threads on this fourm and the faq's. I do have a few questions and maybe they were anserwed but I may have overlooked them due to execessive reading.
anyways so here goes:
Once you guys finish a six week cycle do you stay with the same exercises you did in the previous cycle or do you change em up? If you keep them the same doesnt that fight that theory that your supposed to change your program every so often or does the upping the weight make it ok?

Im also confused at figuring out the max weight for the 10's and 15's-- so ones bench is max for ten at 115 what would the six weeks worth of work be?

Last question for now is what if you want to do the miltary press for shoulders and my max for 15 would be 45 lbs,well thats what the bar is so what do i do ,do 45 lbs all six times? im having this problem with alot of them as some of my weights are really low for a 15 max.

thanks in advance for the answers.

1) Some choose to change their exercises......some don't. Really, it is just up to the person. However, the old myth about needing to continuously change your routine to keep your muscles "guessing" is just that.......a myth. I would definitely organize my program for every cycle around major compund lifts. JMO :)

2) I don't understand your question at all. Could you please clarify?

3) If your max is 45 lbs. (i.e. the bar), you may want to consider using dumbells. Dumbells sometimes allow for more load progression throughout the cycle w/ out having to change your exercises. You could also use the pre-loaded barbells that are lighter than the 45lb bar if you have access to those, until you can handle using weights on a regular bar.

remember that you find out your max for 15 reps, 10 reps, and 5 reps, then do 2 weeks of 15's, 2 of 10's and 2 of 5's.

your last workout of each is your rep max and the 1st 5 workouts would slowly increase weight towards your rep max, for example my 5's would be like this:

workout 1 2 3 4 5 6(5RM)
chinups: 35 40 45 50 55 60
dips: 35 40 45 50 55 60
flatbench: 120 130 140 150 160 170
rows: 100 110 120 130 140 150
Arnie's: 85 90 95 100 105 110
preachers: 45 50 55 60 65 70
shrugs: 150 160 170 180 190 200
squats: 150 160 170 180 190 200

thanks guys
i worded question 2 wrong big time
i think im getting the hang of it ,but i thought it was increase by 5 lbs and then i saw that you increased shurgs and squats by 10. Is there a reason for that?

So if my max 5 bench is 135 it would look like this
?

and one more question that plaqued my sleep time,you guys really see gains doing this light stuff? ive always been under the do six heavy to see gains.lift heavy lift heavy blablabla.
well i wasnt seeing gains so i searched for a new routine and i ve been reading about this a little on mens health boards so i thought i checked it out. im just trying to get a grasp on this.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but i thought it was increase by 5 lbs and then i saw that you increased shurgs and squats by 10. Is there a reason for that?

you are better off increasing by 5-10% per exercise to start with, try it and see how you feel after a full program. also try to use starting weights around 70% of your RM to be effective.

there have been many detailed discussions in increments, I think the sumarry was use larger increments for hypertrophy and smaller for strength, but I could have that backwards...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]you guys really see gains doing this light stuff?

personally I dont gain during the 15's, but thats not their point. they are there to condition the soft tissue and joints for the heavy stuff to come. I do grow a bit in the 10's and alot in the 5's, then I explode in the negatives.

I gained about 17lbs in less than 7 weeks so far.

just remember to read on diet also, very important if you want to grow. there are some AMAZINGLY knowledgeable members here freely sharing their knowledge. basically just do as much research as you can take here, then research more.

thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mikemazz @ May 09 2005,7:01)]and one more question that plaqued my sleep time,you guys really see gains doing this light stuff? ive always been under the do six heavy to see gains.lift heavy lift heavy blablabla.
well i wasnt seeing gains so i searched for  a new routine and i ve been reading about this a little on mens health boards so i thought i checked it out. im just trying to get a grasp on this.
Just plug in your 15, 10 and 5RM in to the calculator in the articles section, set up the amount of increments, 5 lbs for smaller muscles, 10 to 15 for larger. Let the calculator work for you.

The amount of growth you will see during the lighter weight will depend on your conditioning which is why we decondition, to resensitise our tissue to a lighter load. There are many who have come here thinking the same thing, but by the end of the 1st cycle they have a total change of heart. So gove it a shot and see what happens. Be sure you Strategically decondition first, this makes all the difference.

Back