_tim's HST experiment

Hope everything works out better for ya. At least you got a newer ride out of it
cool.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My independent projects are all under control now. If I can just get paid, all will be friggin' great!</div>

Tim, do you bid for projects on sologig.com?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Squats: WU: 135 x 8, 205 x 7, 225 x 5
240 x 3 x 5 - VERY strict form, each rep.</div>

Awesome weight you are throwing around there!

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 12 2007,16:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Tim, do you bid for projects on sologig.com?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Squats: WU: 135 x 8, 205 x 7, 225 x 5
240 x 3 x 5 - VERY strict form, each rep.</div>

Awesome weight you are throwing around there!</div>
Hey Colby -

I used to, but had very little success there. I've built my own independent practice as a part-time gig mainly by word of mouth. This most recent project came to me by way of my brother-in-law, and in turn this client has passed my name on to 5 other companies who need help. Feast or famine, I suppose!

Thanks for the encouragement on the weight side! I like the direction this cycle is going!

Week 6, Belated Entry

This is from Friday:

Squats: WU: 135 x 8, 205 x 6, 225 x 5
255 x 3 x 5 - last set was UGLY!

Incl. Bench: WU: 135 x 8, 155 x 7
185 x 3 x 5

Chins: WU: BW x 8, BW+25 x 5
BW+45 x 3 x 4, BW+45 x 2.75 x 1 PB - THIS WAS MY GOAL WEIGHT!

SLDL: WU: 135 x 6
240 x 3 x 5

Standing Calf Raise: 410 x 3 x 5

Dips: BW+95 x 2 x 1 - DEAD

Wide, Neut. Grip Pull: BW+25 x 3 x 2 - had more in me, surprisingly, but time cut this one short.

I'll go ahead and throw this out there too:

Week 7, Non-Gym Workout

Counter-cycle? Perhaps.

I moved a whole bunch of furniture yesterday. I was exhausted by day's end. The move included an upright piano, about 4 dressers, 8 tables, a bunch of chairs and some miscellaneous crap from my deceased grandfather's house to my parent's basement for the time being. The stuff is next to be moved to my aunt's second home in Florida - AND I MAY BE THE ONE DOING IT! Being a former professional mover don't help nuthin' when people need help lumpin' somethin' somewhere.
biggrin.gif

Based on the amount of sweat produced yesterday alone, my body needed to take today off from the gym. I'll resume normal cycle activities on Wednesday.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Being a former professional mover don't help nuthin' when people need help lumpin' somethin' somewhere. </div>

I love it when people call on me to do some lumpin! I moved furniture all last summer, but those college summers are behind me now. I used to have a 10 hour day, goto my night class, and then head to the gym for an hour WO. After that, it was collapsing into bed!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Based on the amount of sweat produced yesterday alone, my body needed to take today off from the gym. I'll resume normal cycle activities on Wednesday. </div>

Will you continue on with your 3 rep mesocycle, or venture into 2 reps/PB's?

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 16 2007,10:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I love it when people call on me to do some lumpin! I moved furniture all last summer, but those college summers are behind me now. I used to have a 10 hour day, goto my night class, and then head to the gym for an hour WO. After that, it was collapsing into bed!

Will you continue on with your 3 rep mesocycle, or venture into 2 reps/PB's?</div>
Me too - those days at Ohio State, doing 4 hours of class in the summers, then heading to work and moving some yahoo's stuff across town until the wee-early hours of the morning are way behind me!

You know, Colby, I've been thinking quite a bit about my cycle and my rep/set combos lately. I had planned to stay in 3's until SD sometime between now and week 9, but the allure of 2's is there sometime after this week. I'm just not sure how to adjust the volume accordingly. I'm doing 5 sets of 3's now, using super-maximal weights. I figured I'd reduce to 4 sets when I consistently couldn't do a 5th set.

I dunno - what do you think? Should I tweak to start doing 2's next week? If so, I'd need some direction:

1) Where do I start weight wise? 90% of my 2RM?
2) How could I approximate my 2-rep max? +15% of my 3RM?
3) VOLUME: How many sets?

Thanks!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">1) Where do I start weight wise? 90% of my 2RM?</div>

I would go with 80%.

Also, it's interesting looking back to our &quot;experiment&quot; with regards to which type of grip would yield the most strength on chin/pull ups. Looks like supinated won the battle in your case. Or maybe it had to do with what order you did it in. Lookin' good bro, keep the PR's rollin'.

You think I should go to 2's Gator? How many sets?

Yeah, supinated grip did win this round. I'm going to really mix it up next cycle to try and achieve a different kind of back development. I'm gonna use a mix of pronated, supinated, wide-neutral and close-neutral grips and see what happens.

I shouldn't get ahead of myself - but I can't help it. I'm excited for my next cycle.

Week 7, Day 17 ~100+% 3RM

Well, I decided to drop volume to 4 sets today, both because of time and because I started to really feel it during squats. I really would like to make it through week 8 before I either SD or de-load (haven't decided yet) - so this was a first step toward appeasing my CNS. I'm still up in the air as to whether or not to go to 2's next week, and would sure appreciate a couple more opinions on the matter. As it stands now, I'll continue 3's with an ever-increasing load as long as I can. Volume-wise, I'll stick with 4 sets as long as possible.

Squats: WU: 135 x 8, 205 x 7, 225 x 5
265 x 3 x 4

Incl. Bench: WU: 135 x 8, 165 x 6
195 x 3 x 4 - NO HELP FROM MY SPOTTER! FINALLY, MY CHEST IS GETTING STRONGER!
cool.gif

Chins: WU: BW x 8, BW+20 x 6
BW+47.5 x 3 x 4 - I still feel like I have lots of upward room to go here. I'm gonna bump up 10 pounds on Friday. No way is 47.5 my 3RM - but I really thought it was about 3 weeks back.
rock.gif

SLDL: WU: 135 x 8
255 x 3 x 4

That was it - in fact, I stayed probably 30 minutes too long. I gotta get up earlier!

I would stick with the 3's.  You seem to see more light at the end of the tunnel on your bench and chins... and you completed every set for your SLDL's and squats as well.  I would ride this train until you truly feel you are overtraining, or getting close.  That way, you can see what percent OVER your original 3RM you are able to perform.  Also, if you have some exercises that you don't feel safe getting a 1RM on, like squats perhaps, you could calculate it with your 3RM which is usually accurate.  

Just my thoughts.. hopefully others give their input as well.  Nice numbers on those inclines  
biggrin.gif

Thanks Gator - great input. I feel the same way on the 2's debate - so long as I can maintain solid 3-rep sets, I don't see a reason to switch downward to 2's. I definitely have more room to go up - though I'm getting damn close on my squats. I don't want to start sacrificing form for weight - especially on an exercise like squats. I dunno - I'll continue to progress the load ever so slightly and hopefully I'll be able to make it through the end of the cycle.

You know, the weird thing about my inclines is a lot like what I found college math: I struggled so much when the weights were much lighter than I would have liked, but now when things get ever-heavier, I'm busting out the sets rather easily. It was the same thing in college - I hated geometry, but differential calculus was fun and kinda easy. Go figure.

Tim

Great thread to read, really updating the log almost daily.

Squats looking real good, I agree with Gator, milk the 3 sets as long as you can and only drop once you feel your form getting bad!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">NO HELP FROM MY SPOTTER! FINALLY, MY CHEST IS GETTING STRONGER!</div>

Yeah, bench is a real pain in the ..., specially when you stuck on a certain weight and cannot progress much, one of the reasons I am doing a superset bench + weighted dips, to try and eventually improve the bench, stuck at 100 Kg x 3 reps for a while.

Thanks Fausto!!!!!

Your opinion means quite a bit with your experience in HST; thanks so much for weighing in on my internal 3 debate! This cycle has gone extremely well, with both my strength levels and size significantly increased over the past 6+ weeks . I agree from my perspective that there's no reason to change to 2's at this point for the simple reason that the model has worked well thus far.

Bench/chest has always been my weak point. Consistently doing inclines is something I've never done, but seems to have spawned a nice strength increase. I don't know why I'm seeing an improvement now (at this point in the cycle), but I'll take it!

Week 7, Significant Nothing Update

To be 100% honest, I'm pretty excited today for the very simple reason that my hamstrings are SORE! I haven't had a sore off-day since I started doing HST! This is so cool!

See? Significant NOTHING!

I love logs.
biggrin.gif

Lol believe me, I understand where you are coming from. I have the same feeling in my forearms, which NEVER get sore. Even though I've held some mildly heavy weight with my deads recently, I've never put my grip to the test as I am with shrugs... due to consecutive reps, not MS. It's a good feeling pain though
smile.gif

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 19 2007,13:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">HST is pretty good, eh?!
biggrin.gif
</div>
Man, I have never seen results like this, this fast.

In other words, yeah.
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks Fausto!!!!!</div>

De nada, mate!
wink.gif

HST rocks!

Week 7, Day 18 ~102+% 3RM

Well guys, today ends my time of doing squats and any kind of deadlift in the same workout. After my squats, I was cooked leg and lower-back wise. I still gave my SLDL's a go, and got in two heavy sets - somewhat because of time constraints. For the rest of the cycle (maybe two weeks), I'm going to make the following adjustments:

1. Alternate squats and SLDLs.
2. No more calf ISO work.

These two changes should allow me to re-inject dips into my routine, and should maximize my lower body development while saving my lower back all kinds of grief.

Here's what I did this morning:

Squats: WU: 135 x 8, 225 x 7, 255 x 5
270 x 3 x 4

Incl. Bench: WU: 135 x 8, 165 x 6
200 x 3 x 4 - What a difference 5 pounds makes! All good until the last rep of the last set; spotter gave me a tiny bit of help at mid-lift.

Chins: WU: BW x 8, BW+25 x 6
BW+55 x 3 x 3, BW+55 x 2.75 x 1 - OK, I bumped up a pretty decent chunk and almost got all 4 sets in. Good stuff.

SLDL: WU: 135 x 8
260 x 3 x 2 - Time/fatigue.

Wide, Neut. Grip Pull: BW+30 x 3 x 1; BW+35 x 2.5 x 1, static hold at 1/2 way for about 8 seconds. - Wanted to push through the end of the workout. Time.

I definitely think that is a good call with alternating the deads/squats.  I'm actually very suprised you've been able to last THIS long while doing that... which surely shows some great endurance on behalf of your lower back/legs.  The weekend will be a good break from lifting, unless you get w/o's in during the weekend as well.  Keep on keepin' on!

Back