Old question

boggy

Say for any reason (low cals/carbs, overstimated max etc.) I start a set and I reach failure before my scheduled number of reps.If I'm not in 5s I see no problem as I can go on using that weight until the end of my current 2 week block but what happens if I'm doing 5s?
I mean if I start a set and I can only do 3-4 reps I cant lower weight in following sessions due to RBE but If I keep that weight are 3-4 reps enough?

thanks in advance

I'm in the same boat for a couple of exercises, Boggy, so I hope someone comes back with a scientific answer :). I'm just keeping to my original schedule and doing as many reps as I can then do a dropset or two to ensure the muscle group gets enough work. Next cycle I'll keep the weight the same hoping I'll regain that lost strength.

Randy

[b said:
Quote[/b] (boggy @ Aug. 20 2003,7:39)]I mean if I start a set and I can only do 3-4 reps I cant lower weight in following sessions due to RBE but If I keep that weight are 3-4 reps enough?
Yes. If you can only get 3-4, stop. Rest, then try for another set of 3-4, or even 2. Maybe then try for a 3rd set of 2-4. Just keep the weight the same.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yes. If you can only get 3-4, stop. Rest, then try for another set of 3-4, or even 2. Maybe then try for a 3rd set of 2-4. Just keep the weight the same.
Thanks JS,
that is what I'm doing trying also to minimize rest btween sets (if I can do 4 reps I do 3 wait less than a conventional set and do 3 again) but I was wondering if there was some better way to have all my reps done (smth like rest pause).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (boggy @ Aug. 22 2003,6:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yes. If you can only get 3-4, stop. Rest, then try for another set of 3-4, or even 2. Maybe then try for a 3rd set of 2-4. Just keep the weight the same.
Thanks JS,
that is what I'm doing trying also to minimize rest btween sets (if I can do 4 reps I do 3 wait less than a conventional set and do 3 again) but I was wondering if there was some better way to have all my reps done (smth like rest pause).
Rest-pause type training is good for strength-endurance training, but it isn't necessary in your situation. The way you chose to do your sets (i.e. stop at 3 rest do 3 more) is the best way to do your reps. The other alternative is to do 1 or 2 reps, and have someone assist you in doing 4-5 more eccentric-only reps.

Back