Vitamins and minerals?

Spencer

Hi guys,

I will be making a trip down to my local GNC. Was wondering what specific vitamins and minerals would be important for my health and hypertrophy? The reason why i wanna ask this is because i have heard that certain vitamins or minerals may inhibit hypertrophy. Does an anti oxidant formula reduce the signal for hypertrophy? I do know that painkillers are not advisable for hypertrophy.

I have been taking a serving of Centrum everyday. I suppose that wouldnt hurt right? Hope you guys can shed some light on certain vitamins and minerals we might need in greater amounts that the multi will provide.

Also, does fenugreek really increases one's appetite? Is there any studies supporting it?

If you're seriously concerned with absolutely maximizing growth at the potential expense of other health issues, don't buy a high-potency multi with large doses of antioxidants. Buy a more low-grade multi, and consider taking half doses if it's splittable.

Also, try to time taking it opposite to your workout -- if you lift in the morning, take it after dinner; if you lift at night, take it in the morning. The level of antioxidants in your blood will peak an hour or so after consumption and absorbption.

Personally, I prefer to continue taking my high-potency multi, which I take morning and evening. I believe the number of ounces of muscle it may inhibit per year are far outweighed by the extra week of training I get by not getting sick, not to mention my better recovery and condition all year.

Unless you are deficient, there aint much vitamin supplements can do for health and hypertrophy.

Eating fruits and vegetables (in good amounts) is probably one of the best things a person can do for health.

Hi everyone,

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Eating fruits and vegetables (in good amounts) is probably one of the best things a person can do for health.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Typical advice from a nutritionist!
laugh.gif
. Though, good advice from u Aaron! But the problem is, the only vegetables i eat (assuming green ones) are broccoli and cauliflower. Think i might be deficient in certain vitamins or minerals. What would u recommend in this case?

Also, i am running out of ideas for my diet. Can you recommend some healthy carbs and protein ?

Thanks
Spencer

Eat more veges, onions, cabbage, lettuce, cauliflower, kumera (sweet potato), normal potatoes (esp cooked and used cold in a salad, mmm resistant starch), capsicums (peppers - green, red, yellow etc), celery, tomatoes yada yada yada.
A lot of fruits are great, apples, pears, peaches others are higher GI, but in the big picture probably not too much of a worry.
Other carb sources are most beans, lentils etc, all excellent, with great amounts of fibre, minerals vitamins and the like

Meat is also a good choice, with lean red meats having good mineral contents as well as b6 and b12 content, chicken, lean pork, turkey, fish - all types, fattier the better generally. Seeds, nuts, fresh oils, its all fair game in the end.
Milk and other dairy products for calcium etc, a good casien casinate powder has oodles of calcium, as too does cottage cheese and good old skim milk.

And once you have the base diet of good foods, I am more likely to add any additional energy from any source, wether it be a hamburger or whatever, sanity is good for training, and going to the extreme is not great. Nothing like eating hamburgers everyday to make one feel good.

If you have a relatively energy restricted diet, then a supplement may be a good idea.
Taking a low dose (~RDA) supplement wont hurt, but then again probably wont do much either. But if it helps mentally, it could be good.

Back