Running = burning calories that I don't have!

namemattersnot

Re,

I've emerged with a visible belly after this winter and found out that doing sit-ups and whatnot builds muscle underneath the flab but does not help to eliminate it.

So, I was advised to do cardio to "sweat the fat out" (literally, burn it). I'm 6"1 and weigh 175 pounds. I've recently started preparing myself for HST program by embarking on a calorie-rich die and it takes a lot of effort to consume 3,000 calories a day and to burn them by running is just a daunting thought -- I will never gain weight to build the muscle mass.

How do I go about losing the belly flab and getting those abs back?

PLEASE help :)

You basically need to pick an objective. If you want to lose the fat, then you need to also lose the 3,000 calorie a day diet. Start eating just under maintenance and doing plenty of cardio, AND doing HST at the same time, to maintain as much muscle as possible while you lose weight.

So which objective is more imporant? Getting back your six pack or gaining muscle?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ Mar. 30 2005,9:23)]You basically need to pick an objective.  If you want to lose the fat, then you need to also lose the 3,000 calorie a day diet.  Start eating just under maintenance and doing plenty of cardio, AND doing HST at the same time, to maintain as much muscle as possible while you lose weight.
So which objective is more imporant?  Getting back your six pack or gaining muscle?
Can both objectives be accomplished at the same time? If I eat under the maintenance requirements then there will be no point in doing HST, right -- where will the body take all the necessary energy to build the muscle mass?

Thanks for answering.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (namemattersnot @ Mar. 31 2005,9:57)]If I eat under the maintenance requirements then there will be no point in doing HST, right --
Not right. Granted HST builds tissue when calories are sufficient, but in cases where calories are below sufficiency for growth HST can and should still be used to help prevent catabolism.

Like dkm said, HST is great for you to use when you are trying to cut fat. Typically if you just cut your calories and do some cardio, you will lose a fair amount of muscle mass along with the fat, but if you do HST, it will help prevent muscle loss while aiding in your fat loss.

But if you don't mind the extra belly, you could just bulk this cycle and see how much muscle you can gain, then cut later on when you feel you have gained enough muscle. My bodyfat is up to 12%, which is pretty high for me. I used to be in the single digits until a couple years ago, but I'm not going to even worry about fat loss until I'm over 200 lbs. For me, muscle is the priority right now.

So it's up to you. Do whichever you think is more important, but remember - when you want to gain muscle later, you're probably going to have to gain a bit of fat in the process, so you are likely better off just bulking for now, and trying to cut the fat later once you've gained enough muscle.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ Mar. 31 2005,7:40)]Like dkm said, HST is great for you to use when you are trying to cut fat.  Typically if you just cut your calories and do some cardio, you will lose a fair amount of muscle mass along with the fat, but if you do HST, it will help prevent muscle loss while aiding in your fat loss.
But if you don't mind the extra belly, you could just bulk this cycle and see how much muscle you can gain, then cut later on when you feel you have gained enough muscle.  My bodyfat is up to 12%, which is pretty high for me.  I used to be in the single digits until a couple years ago, but I'm not going to even worry about fat loss until I'm over 200 lbs.  For me, muscle is the priority right now.
So it's up to you.  Do whichever you think is more important, but remember - when you want to gain muscle later, you're probably going to have to gain a bit of fat in the process, so you are likely better off just bulking for now, and trying to cut the fat later once you've gained enough muscle.
Thanks for your answer.

I don't have that much of a belly but it's "getting there". So here are two final questions:

1) If I do decide to lose the fat first, how much do I cut in calories? Maintenance level? Below?

2) If I do decide to gain muscle and weight (I actually need to gain it), how much cardio do I have to do before exercising so that I wouldn't burn too much calories needed to gain weight? Running is OK? Any alternative?

Thanks!

I'm not an expert, but this is what I would do...

Since you don't have much of a belly yet, I would just start doing HST and keep your calories at what your maintenance used to be, if you don't want to gain weight yet.

However... if you try to gain weight now, then I would recommend you only do cardio on your rest days, not on lifting days. Also, eat big. Don't overdo the cardio though. I am naturally lean and have a pretty active job, so doing cardio for me was out of the question when I wanted to gain weight, so depending on how active your normal days are, you may want to adjust accordingly.

I would recommend you try to gain weight now. If you cut down right now, then bulk later, you'll just have to cut the fat gain again. But don't let the fat get out of control either while you are trying to gain.

In addition, any cardo you do should only be around 60-65% of your max heart rate. Anything over that and your body will turn to anaerobic pathways for energy. That range is the most protein sparing type of cardio. Make sure you've got some carbs in your system before you do the cardio too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (xahrx @ April 09 2005,5:13)]In addition, any cardo you do should only be around 60-65% of your max heart rate.  Anything over that and your body will turn to anaerobic pathways for energy.  That range is the most protein sparing type of cardio.  Make sure you've got some carbs in your system before you do the cardio too.
A man of reason.
worship.gif

Now that winter is over the cycling season has begun for me and I am doing group rides 3 days per week for at least 2 hours each ride. Sometimes we are hammering hard. I am going to stick with HST as long as I can and still ride. I will let you know how it goes. I figure I will have to eat a ton but if there is anything I like to do it's eat!
tounge.gif

I have a little weight to lose anyway so for the first bit I should be fine. It will be once those few pounds are gone that I may find it hard to maintain both programs and I may have to modify the weight training until after the cycling season. I am hoping that I will at least have a nice lean beach body this summer and if I at least maintain most of my muscle from the winter I will be one happy dude!

I will keep you posted as to how it is going.

Back