Re: Lowering volume if training 6x/wk vs 3x

professor33

I have read conflicting information regarding the volume if you are training 6x/week vs 3x/week. If I plan on training 6x/wk, should I halve my volume as compared to a 3x/wk schedule? I.e., maybe one set per exercise each day on the 6x as opposed to 2 sets per on the 3x schedule. Some posts have said yes, some have said just do the same workout.

Totally unrelated background info on me: 37 yrs old, training more or less consistenly for 20 years, experiment continually with new workouts/diet/cardio, but have always believed and lived by the "truth" of never working the same muscle 2 days in a row (hence, my desire to try HST for the first time on a 6x/wk regimen to see the outcome)

Based on your experience you may need to do more volume but only you can answer this, here is something from Bryan that may help you decide.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If your muscle is resistant to growth, you will have to do a little more to get it to grow, and hence, you will feel more tired. However, if your muscle is sensitive to the training stimulus, you can do less and still grow and hence you will not feel nearly as tired after an effective workout.*Note-This is why SD is so important

AND

So, should you increase, maintain or decrease "volume" as the cycle progresses? It depends! I know how many people hate to hear that...but its true. Here is how you decide. Keep in mind that these factors are to considered “collectively”, meaning each factor must be weighted, not taken as an absolute indicator.

Increase volume if:

You are never sore
You are never tired
You are not growing

Maintain volume if:

You are slightly sore most of the time
You are tired enough to sleep well, but not so tired you lose motivation to train.
You are noticeably “fuller”

Decrease volume if:

You are experiencing over use pain, and strain symptoms in joints and/or muscles.
You are tired and irritable all the time, yet don’t sleep well.
Strength levels are significantly decreasing.

AND

But the amount of volume each person is used to varies. I am not saying that you have to train to your volume limit. I'm just saying that if 1 set isn't enough, do another. Do too much and you'll begin to get progressively weaker, and/or injured and you will lose your desire to train.

Hope that helped

I'd start the 15s with a halved volume per session (for any exercise that had 2 sets or more), but equal over the week, then if thru the 10s and more so the 5s, you feel it isn't enough, add in a 2nd set.

Also, rather than add in a 3rd set, try doing drop sets in the 5s.

Thanks dkm. I did read that info elsewhere on the forum and I guess I will just have to experiment a little to see what suits me best.

Jester, that is pretty much what I have decided to start with and will see what happens.

Back