Potential harmful effects of CLA

virtualcyber

Since I have been posting positive effects of CLA here, I thought I should post this as well, in case some future research reveals that CLA is harmful. Jon Stark raised a related issue in another thread, and I checked out the full article.

The full research paper, on which I posted a thread about fat cell apoptosis, talks about how subcutaneous fat cells die when CLA is administered for 8 months (on rats). The relevant experiment has been conducted on mice, so, I don't know how much of its result applies to human beings, but basically what the paper said was that 8 months administration of CLA, at about 2-3% in total calories consumed, caused significant amount of apoptosis of adipocytes. This would be good for bb purposes (if applicable to humans), except that there seemed to be two side effects. (1) development of hyperinsulinemia (insulin insensitivity, which causes insulin spikes when blood plasma has high concentration of glucose) and (2) enlargement of liver in those mice that were administered with CLA.

As for the development of hyperinsulinemia caused by CLA administration, in the full article, the researchers cite two possible reasons: (1) when blood becomes more full of glucose (from ingested carb, for example), there are not many places for the plasma glucose to go (because fat cells have died) and (2) there is market decrease of GLUT4 in adipose tissues. To remove glucose from the blood stream, therefore, it takes lots of insulin. This may not a good thing (perhaps someone can shed more light on this matter). My assumption, of course, is that this can be reversed when CLA administraton is stopped -- fat cells can multiply again, right?

There is another noteworthy fact from the experiment, and that is CLA caused enlargement of mice liver. CLA fed mice had liver which were 4 x larger than those mice that were not fed CLA.

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
However, the liver was massively enlarged and very pale, suggesting deposition of fat (Fig. 1Band C). CLA-fed mice showed 3.6-fold (P &lt; 0.001) and 1.6-fold (NS) enlargement of liver and spleen, respectively.

Histological analysis of liver revealed that there was panlobular macrovesicular steatosis but no increased hepatic inflammation (Fig. 6C). Liver enlargement was manifested 14 days after CLA supplementation (data not shown). No enlargement of the kidney, heart, or skeletal muscles was noted. Despite these marked phenotypic changes,
the average energy intake in the 2 groups was not significantly different (7.4 ± 0.5 and 7.7 ± 0.9 kcal · mouse &amp;#8211;1 · day &amp;#8211;1 in control and CLA-fed mice, respectively; n = 5).
<span =''>

I am worried about liver enlargement. (1) I don't know if it is applicable to humans (2) I don't know if it is a reversible process (3) and it might be harmful.

From what has been described in the paper, it seems that liver is trying to compensate for the role of dead subcutaneous fat cells. In other words, fat becomes &quot;redistributed&quot;; subcutaneous fat cells die and fat cells in the liver multiply.

See another thread titled &quot;CLA &amp; fat cell apoptosis&quot;

Back