Post SD

• Thread starter imported_foreverfun
  • Start date
I

imported_foreverfun

I'm about to embark on my first SD period of about 10 days. When I get back to the gym for my next HST cycle how do i go about determining my new maxes? Should I take a week to figure it out or just increase my max loads by a percentage?

I don't think it really matters. Bryan says just add 5-10lb to all your maxes, but its more accurate to actually do the lifts again, if you want to take that extra time. Either way will be fine though, you should have some idea of what your maxes are anyway based on how much strength you gained in your last cycle.

Determine new maxes before you SD. Just find your new 5 RM, that's the only important one. You can just add 5 - 10 lbs to your 10 and 15 RMs and you'll be fine.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Oct. 12 2006,21:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Determine new maxes before you SD.  Just find your new 5 RM, that's the only important one.  You can just add 5 - 10 lbs to your 10 and 15 RMs and you'll be fine.</div>
i go along with this.

5 rm max is the most important one, especially if its gone up a bit (over 10-20lbs). then you can adjust 15s and 10s accordingly. ive never tested rm after sd but it seems counter-intuitive. trying to find a 5,10,15 rm in the days/week following an sd will not be as accurate as simply adding 5-10lbs to your prev best.

good luck

at the end of each 2wk cycle you should have wrote down your new maxes for the next cycle

Yes but how do you know what your new maxes are? You can feel how &quot;easy&quot; the weigths were the last day of a 2week period and then &quot;guesstimate&quot; a new weight for next cycle. Is that what you mean?

When you complete your cycle and are planning the new one - before you SD just either

a) add 5-10lbs to each max and plan accordingly
b) add a percentage to each max and plan accordingly (I add 10%)
c) most accurately - test your maxes, know what they really are, and plan your routine accordingly.

I'm with Tot and bluejacket. The only thing that really matters is the load progression over the whole cycle, assuming reps are roughly constant. So, if you always find your new 5RMs at the end of a cycle before SD you know where you are heading for your next cycle. Then just up the RM loads for 15s and 10s according to how heavy or light they felt on the current cycle. I try to add 5 to 10 lbs each cycle.

<div>
(Sniggel @ Oct. 13 2006,10:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yes but how do you know what your new maxes are? You can feel how &quot;easy&quot; the weigths were the last day of a 2week period and then &quot;guesstimate&quot; a new weight for next cycle. Is that what you mean?</div>
No, we mean that you actually find your new 5 RMs before you end the cycle. Then estimate your 15 and 10 RMs based on how much your 5 RM increased.

<div>
(foreverfun @ Oct. 12 2006,15:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm about to embark on my first SD period of about 10 days. When I get back to the gym for my next HST cycle how do i go about determining my new maxes? Should I take a week to figure it out or just increase my max loads by a percentage?</div>
That's a good question. I decided to just increase the load by 2% every cycle, until I started doing max-stim. There are some good charts out there to at least estimate the # of reps you should be able to do for a specific max. weight. You can at least use it for a baseline and then go from there.

http://www.criticalbench.com/chart.htm

<div>
(Totentanz @ Oct. 14 2006,02:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Sniggel @ Oct. 13 2006,10:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yes but how do you know what your new maxes are? You can feel how &quot;easy&quot; the weigths were the last day of a 2week period and then &quot;guesstimate&quot; a new weight for next cycle. Is that what you mean?</div>
No, we mean that you actually find your new 5 RMs before you end the cycle.  Then estimate your 15 and 10 RMs based on how much your 5 RM increased.</div>
okidoki
smile.gif

<div>
(Sniggel @ Oct. 13 2006,15:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yes but how do you know what your new maxes are? You can feel how &quot;easy&quot; the weigths were the last day of a 2week period and then &quot;guesstimate&quot; a new weight for next cycle. Is that what you mean?</div>
what i do is on the last day of the 15s,10s,5s,if i can go heavier than my max in my log,then i do that and use that as my new max for the next cycle.

<div>
(faz @ Oct. 16 2006,17:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Sniggel @ Oct. 13 2006,15:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yes but how do you know what your new maxes are? You can feel how &quot;easy&quot; the weigths were the last day of a 2week period and then &quot;guesstimate&quot; a new weight for next cycle. Is that what you mean?</div>
what i do is on the last day of the 15s,10s,5s,if i can go heavier than my max in my log,then i do that and use that as my new max for the next cycle.</div>
Ah that sounds like the easiest way. thanks

Back