Please help with negs (WKs 7 & 8)

BurnsIV

I am about to start my first HST cycle and dont understand how to figure my negs.  I undderstand and have figured my 15RMs, 10RMs, and 5RMs but the calculator also has the last section that is 2RM/negs.  What am I supposed to do there?  A combination of 2RM and negs, or one or the other?  I have serched but cant find the answer.  Can someone either explain this to me, or point me to a thread that does?

Use the 2RM, but only do the negative (eccentric) portion of the exercise so you can do more reps. Negatives are obviously best done with a spotter if you have a partner.

I personally don't do negatives as I left alone except for Chins and Dips. I just try to progress a bit on my 5RM, and also add in tweaking techniques such as pulsing, static holds, and drop sets.

The choice of poison is yours.

But first you need the koolaid, so check out the HST FAQ'S forum for all the basics and not so basic information.

I just keep increasing the weight (usually 5 pounds) each workout after hitting my 4RM or 3RM. I increase the frequency also and end up usually doing a lot heavier than my 1rm.

Aim for your 2 or even your 1 RM, but perform 5 reps negatives only, you will need a partner for many of the lifts but not for others.

It migh end up growing your body beyond you normal expectations! So it is worth trying.

Easiest way as Liege pointed out is to keep adding to your 5 RM 5 or 10 pounds at a time.

Here's a calculator formula: weight / ( 1.0278 - ( 0.0278 * reps ))

Thsi is for one rep max, enter your 5 RM as weight, divide by above * 5 (you amount of reps).

Hope this helps
cool.gif

For negs, using your 2 RM, you should be doing 2 full reps, then 3 more eccentric only reps. Read the Negatives FAQ

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
There are two approaches to the progression.

- Select a load which is approximately your 2-rep max and do 1-2 concentric+3-4 eccentric reps for all 6 workouts of this phase. This is the easiest way and should be followed for your first try with the program.

- After your last workout of 5s, continue the progressive increments for each workout until you can no longer control the weight on the descent for 2-4 seconds. You may also vary the concentric:eccentric rep number ratio. E.g for the first workouts in the negatives microcycle, you may do 3-4 regular concentric/eccentric reps+1-2 eccentric-only reps. On the last workouts of negatives you may do 5 eccentric-only reps. This is for more advanced lifters, as the injury potential would be greater from the heavier loads that will be lifted.
</div>

I stuck with my 5 rm on all exercises except dips and pull ups. For those, I added 5 lbs every other workout. What happened was that I could do 2 - 3 reps, then the rest negatives for a while, then one rep, four negatives. I never got to a point where I did all negatives. But like I said, I only added 5 lbs every other workout. All in all, it felt very good. Lots of DOMS afterward!!

To clarify... when I said I stuck to my 5 RM on all my other exercises, I found that I was able to increase my 5 RM on a few, due to increased strength. Not big gains. Just 5 or 10 pounds on a couple exercises, but I'll take it!

I also found that because of the strain of the heavy weights and negatives, I couldn't do decent bicep or tricep iso's anymore. I only did a set or two of each during the entire duration of weeks 7 and 8. Not a big deal to me, as my arms grew (proportionally) larger than any other body part.

5-10 pounds on a few compounds during the post 5's is great, especially if you're only doing 2 weeks worth.

From my experience, if you feel you need to do bicep and triceps iso's when doing negative chins &amp; dips, then you didn't do them right.

After doing a few sets of neg chins and dips I can't comb my hair.
laugh.gif

<div>
(liegelord @ May 27 2006,05:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">After doing a few sets of neg chins and dips I can't comb my hair.
laugh.gif
</div>
What a mad lot we are
biggrin.gif

Back