Order of exercises

I

imported_daxie

Does the order of exercises/body parts matter?

Especially for the heavy taxing ones... I've heard both sides..One saying you should do it in the beginning cause you need most energy for them...other says do it last or you'll lack energy for the next exercises...

Also any recommendation on which shoulder groups when? Any reason why to put up one first (if it lags?)...

Also within muscle groups if you do two exercises, would it be better to perform the "lesser load" one first? Eg doing skull crushers first, then dips?? OR vice versa?

thnx,

daxie

You should do your compound movements first. If you do isolations first you will tire many of the stabilizer muscles needed to perform the compounds properly and safely. Also, the major load in compounds is where most of the growth is occuring so why would you want to tire yourself with isolations and then not be able to lift your maxes on compounds. You example of dips and skull crushers is a good one. I would never do skull crushers first as you would tire the triceps out and then not be able to load the weight on for dips which are such an amazing mass builder.

Mike

I agree with Mike, also from what I've discovered, by doing your compounds first (chest,back,squats) it gives you a warm up for the isolation exercises like biceps,tris,etc.

Hey :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Does the order of exercises/body parts matter?

Yes, absolutely.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Especially for the heavy taxing ones... I've heard both sides..One saying you should do it in the beginning cause you need most energy for them...other says do it last or you'll lack energy for the next exercises...

That depends on what you plan to do. If you know an exercise wipes you out totally, so you'd rather do some stuff first before it, then go ahead. But do the core movements first, the heavy compounds, before expending much energy on isolations. Other than that, you can pretty much set up your routine as is comfortable for you.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]also from what I've discovered, by doing your compounds first (chest,back,squats) it gives you a warm up for the isolation exercises like biceps,tris,etc.

Yes, exactly. In fact, your biceps and triceps may have gotten enough work already, and all the isolation work you added may have simply added metabollic work and not much more - that is, of course, if your compounds are ok.

Regards,
-JV

daxie,
I have had good success with the following order:
Biceps
Chest
Back
Shoulders
Triceps
Legs
Calves
Abs
For me, this does a few things:
1.  Look forward to going to the gym because I don't have to do Squats or Deadlifts first.
2.  "Warmed-up" Stabilizers for heavy leg work.
3.  People tend to want to chat you up at the gym.  I would rather 'have' to talk during curls than squats.
* Doing biceps first, I would start back with a non-bicep exercise like pullovers or deadlifts.
Sorry not very scientific.
bob

My order of bodyparts works like this:

Back&Chest
Legs(upper and calves)&Shoulders

Bis&tris - if I'm up to that part of my cycle
Forearms, abs if I feel bored

After trying it both ways, I've decided that I like to do my deads after the major upperbody stuff.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Captain Crunch @ Aug. 23 2005,4:12)]Also, the major load in compounds is where most of the growth is occuring so why would you want to tire yourself with isolations and then not be able to lift your maxes on compounds. You example of dips and skull crushers is a good one. I would never do skull crushers first as you would tire the triceps out and then not be able to load the weight on for dips which are such an amazing mass builder.
Thats a fair point, but more focussed on the second point

For the first point, if performing the lift is going to compromiose teh remainder of the session on other bodyparts (which high rep squats/deadlifts can do), then its probably best to place them last in the session. Lying on the floor for 20mins after a 15rm squat x2 is not usually the best way to get in and out of the gym. But performing thje other less holistically taxing lifts first, bench/back or similar, then it doesnt quite matter as much.

OL'rs routinely place the squats at the end of the session, because if they performed them first they would compromise the workout.

Yeah, like Jester, and like Aaron's point, I place deadlifts at the end. After heavy deadlifts, I doubt I could still benchpress heavy or do chins at all. Or, at the very least, I couldn't do any more than 1 or 2 reps! If I did them first, I'll have to spend the next ten minutes or so "meditating about the mysteries of life". :)

Regards,
-JV

mmkay, so originally I was planning to do this:

Squats
Leg Curls
Neck Pulldown
T-Bar Rowing
Incline Bench Press
Dips
Triceps Extensions (with db)
Lying Incline Lateral Raise
Seated Barbell Military Press
Dumbell Curl
Leg Press Toe Raise

After the comments it might be better to do this:

Incline Bench Press
Dips
Dumbell Curl
Neck Pulldown
T-Bar Rowing (it's like barbell rowing, but with a machine, which eases on the lower back)
Leg Press Toe Raise
Leg Curls
Squats

What do you think?

Thnx,

daxie

Incline bench Press
Dips
T-Bar Rowing (it's like barbell rowing, but with a machine, which eases on the lower back)
Neck Pulldown
Dumbell Curl
Leg Press Toe Raise
Squats
Leg Curls

mainly becuase doing shoulders before chest will limit chest somewhat. Incline barbell and seated military may double up the shoulders somewaht so you may have to be careful with volume.
I put Tbar first because usually the rowing is the heaviest loading, followed by pulldowns and curls. Curls first would limit the loading on pulldowns/tbar, but doing hte others first wouldnt limit the curls (well, if they did it would be to a smaller degree). Calf raises can be done before or afer squatting. it may show up in squats but not too much. Leg curls after squats, as they are usually not as 'destroying' but they would limit your squatting ability. Althouhg I have done squats after leg curls in one program i did

Thnx Aaron.

I was doing shoulders first cause I find them lagging... Same thing with calves...

Well, in absolute loads T-Bar 5 RM would be around 130 (guess, didn't measrue them yet) and Neck pulldowns around 170...

Therefor I put them second.

Agree with the curls, they were off. Also other comments seem valid
tounge.gif

Thnx a lot! :

Back