Not-so-strategic deconditioning

nathan

So I got a puppy, and bought a house, and work was hell...

And the next thing I knew six months had gone by with no workouts. I'm prone to joint injuries, so I want to start slowly and intelligently, and not move up too fast. I've been thinking of starting with some very easy 15s for several weeks, emphasizing lactate buildup, etc., before starting in again on an HST cycle. 've lost about 30% of my strength and I'd guess about 10 lbs. of LBM. (It was a stressful time and I was eating and sleeping poorly, too.)
butbut.gif

The questions: Is this a reasonable approach? How long should I do low-weight, high-rep work to condition connective tissue? Or should I just dive back in?

What kind of high-rep are you thinking? Unless you're really old (my apologies if you are), I'd just do some good warm-ups and use triples to figure out some reasonable weights.

Don't over-pamper yourself unless you have cause.

(I'm assuming you've done more than one cycle of HST or have other experience lifting in the past.)

I would do a normal HST cycle with the following mods:

Reduce top weights by about 20% versus 6 months ago. (Your strength will come back quickly, so this is conervative.)

Stop the cycle short in your 5's as soon as the weights start to worry you; take a short decon, and start again with 15's.

(Don't do the optional negatives cycle, even if you finish out your 5's cleanly.)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (edziu @ Dec. 16 2003,1:12)]
Thanks, Scott and Edziu. I think you're right, and I'll follow your advice, Edziu, just starting 20% off my previous 1RM (I don't want to test them just yet) and going from there, skipping the negs. My more general question was how long it takes for connective tissue to decondition. Anyone know?

Thanks again.

P.S. Scott--not so old (35), but sometimes I think I have the recovery ability of a 60 year old.
dozingoff.gif

Hi Nathan,

Go ahead and start an HST cycle as you normally would. Just adjust your weights accordingly during the 15s. Feel free to start out very light and move very slow. Pause at the top, bottom, or wherever it feels right. Make it burn like crazy and let things stretch. As you get into the 10s you will be ready for heavier weights and can move into the 5s without concern.

Look at it this way, you are primed for very fast gains! Don't forget your pre- & post-workout protein drinks!

Thanks, Bryan. I've been going really slow and letting myself stretch out. The lactate accumulation is insane.
crazy.gif
I never thought I'd say it's good to feel nauseated again, but it is!

Back