(non-)sense of creatine supplementation

I

imported_flow

As I know from personal experience, creatine has rather dramatic short term effects: rapid strength and muscle size increases (the latter probably due to hydration), which become evident in a matter of days if you're doing a loading phase. Of course, it's nice to be able to bench 10-20 lbs more instantly. But is that all there is, or are there any proven long-term anabolic effects of creatine? Will it make you gain real muscle tissue besides water retention?

If not, creatine might be the first choice for creating peak shape for a certain event, e.g. a contest. But I don't see why one should use this supplement all the time.

Does anybody have info about long-term anabolic effects of creatine? :confused:

read the creatine article in the article section. also read the FAQ on supplements. all your answers are there

Oops, you're right. I guess my questions are answered.

I haven't read the nutrition/supplement faqs or threads yet, but based on what you've told me about creatine (short term strength and hydration benefits), it seems that there would be long term benefits.

With increased strength comes increased potential for more fibre damage.

I am guessing that with increased hydration comes the potential for faster and fuller recovery.

Also i remember reading a long time ago about how creatine helps facilitate protein breakdown (or synthesis - can't remember which) but i'm not sure if this is verified to be true or to a significant degree.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ([xeno]Julios @ Aug. 22 2003,10:54)]I haven't read the nutrition/supplement faqs or threads yet,
BLASPHEMY! THOU SHALT SUFFER IN ETERNITY FOR THY SINS :D

Back