New to HST, another how does this routine look ?

Razorbackfan

Ok,
I've been working out steadily for 9 months now.
Just coming off a 6 week push/pull split.

I want to finish this year strong and the HST looked interesting. I've done total body training before but not in this rep/set scheme.

Food Goal: 2500 calories per day, 160g to 180g of protein, fat/carbs worked around that.
I have a desk job and 2500 calories should allow me to have a slow growth.
Started tracking food in FitDay today. Nice tool. Not sure how I'm going to hit 2500 calories today
smile.gif

Current weight: 179Lbs
BodyFat %: 16% + or minus (using 3 point caliper method)

Current 1RM bench 192lbs, Goal 200lbs
Squat 1RM 330, Goal 350lbs
Nice to hit: BodyFat below 15%, but gaining strength/size is primary focus.

Mon, Wed, Fri - Light cardio before work (30 minutes, 4mph walk)
Tues, Thur, Sat - Cardio HIIT for 3 miles or more. (9mph run for 1 minute, 4mph walk for 2 minutes, repeat until 3 miles completed)

Cardio might be too much. But I do enjoy doing at least some lite cardio most mornings. It has become a habit.

HST - M,W,F

1 working set, 15 reps, 2 working sets at 10 reps, and 4 sets at 5 reps (might just need 3 sets
rock.gif
? )
Legs:
Squat
Stiff leg deadlift (hamstring, lowerback)
Standing Calf Raise

Chest:
DB flat bench press
DIPs (chest and tricept)

Back:
Lat pull down
DB Bent Row (switch to barbell bent row in 2nd cycle)

Shoulders:
Standing Military press (in smith machine because that is what my gym has, and I just did db shoulder presses and want a new exercise)
Lateral raise
Rear Delt raise

Traps:
Barbell Shrugs

Bicept:
easy curl bar, preacher curl

Tricept:
Skull Crusher (might not need this since doing dips ?)

ABS on T,Th, Sat morning after Cardio

That is 13 exercises, but I don't think I need the tricept since I am doing dips, that would reduce to 12, and I'm not sure if I really need Lateral raise and rear delt raise if I'm doing military presses. I could work on smaller muscle groups after the first of the year.

I plan on finding my 15 RM today, 10 RM on wed, 5 RM on Friday, then take 7 days off and start full blown HST after that..

Issues: I think I have too much cardio in the plan agree/disagree ?
Don't need to do skull crushers because of dips ?
Don't need to do rear delt or lateral raises ?
Should I increase calorie to 3000 to maximize strength increases (knowing that bf% should decrease as muscle mass increases).

Thanks in advance for the usefull feedback..

I did almost exactly the same plan in my second cycle -- a little less cardio than you -- and it was my most successful cycle. If you want to save a little time, just make sure you shrug at the top of your deadlift, and eliminate the shrugs. When you switch to BB bent row, that may make the rear delt raises a little redundant too.

I enjoy the tricep work, so I always do dips and skulls. May not be necessary, but it sure feels good. I would definately go with 3000 calories.

My opinion?

Switch to chin ups with underhand close grip, this will hit your arms good, then drop all curls at least till the 5's, then just do curls straight after chins without rest 1 set.

So...switch lat pulldowns to chins, unless you are not strong enough in which case, switch when on 5's, then proceed.
wink.gif

Do the same for Dips/skullcrushers to get you triceps.

Mil presses are better on their own standing without any machine, load bar, clean to chest, perform military press.
wink.gif

The added lateral raise/bent over raise is OK to add from 5's as a one super-set one set only.

That's it. The rest is fine...oh...if you are not growing, add 500 calories and see.

Back