new guy here

I

imported_dave86

Hi

My name's Dave (lke you couldn't tell
tounge.gif
) and I've just come across this site. I'd really like to give this HST a try. I've been doing weights for a while now but am not making any size gains.

I'm 20 years old, about 6'0, and weigh around 155lbs. I'd like to gain around 10-15lbs of mucsle so I'll weigh in around 165-170.

I'm an ectomorph so do different training rules apply.

Thanks in advance for replies.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My name's Dave (lke you couldn't tell
tounge.gif
) </div>
No, really, Dave? I thought you were &quot;86&quot; or something
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm an ectomorph so do different training rules apply.</div>
Not really, probably not as much as you would expect.

At the end of the day you still have to:
1.) Eat right
2.) Train right
3.) Rest right

In the long run, this means to be gaining muscle:
1.) Your diet is well balanced and you aren't stuffing yourself with either too much of carbs or fats or what have you.
2.) Your max weights are increasing
3.) You manage to get enough sleep for yourself and can manage your daily stress levels as well.

You'll find a treasure trove of info in this forum (scientific and not so scientific in case you just want the cold hard applications) to help you be that hulking dude you want to be.
laugh.gif

Cheers
-JV

I started out about your size. The main thing you are going to have to do is learn to eat. I always thought I was eating a ton of food all day long until I counted it. Yeah, I was eating more than other people my size, but I wasn't eating anywhere near enough to grow.
So start keeping track of what you eat, count up the calories. You're going to want 500-1000 over maintenance, or just take your weight and multiply it by 20. You may gain some fat doing this, but you need to pack some serious mass onto your frame, right?
When you first start bulking, you will be eating so much food that you won't ever want to actually eat. There will be days where you will have to force yourself to eat, to the point where you will want to vomit - but you won't vomit, because you won't want to waste the food.

Don't worry though, eating a lot will get easy after a while. I can pack away tons upon tons of food now with ease.
Get the eating sorted. That's what is holding you back. You have to eat a lot of food if you want to make size gains.

HST is a great routine to follow for building mass. I'd suggest you do as little as possible. Stick to only 3 days a week and focus on Bench, Squats, Bentover Rows and Military Press. Your workouts will be fast, hopefully around 30 minutes, but you want to push yourself. Don't go easy on the weight.

Just in case it seems like I'm pushing the eating angle too much, here's a frame of reference. I originally started out about 145 lbs when I first began working out. I worked out in a retarded manner and ate like a moron, and only gained a little bit. When I finally figured out I had to eat like it was my job, I finally started to make gains. Last year, I began HST for the first time in January at about 180 lbs and hit a peak of about 225 lbs earlier this year.
If you started bulking properly now and continued for several HST cycles, you could easily hit 180 lbs by the end of the year.

totz reply is right on.
many here have started or found themselves in the same situation as you. as mentioned before concentrate on getting in surplus cals (ectos usually need higher surplus than most. typically at least 1000), basic compound movements, good rest (8hrs a night) and read.
dont be overwhelmed by all the info out there on this site and others. if you get too hung up on the details of various exer. or diet its easy to get lost on what to believe. i would recomm. reading all the info on the home hst site first (even read it twice) then read the results entries in the forum or better yet read all the posts that begin with &quot;i cant gain&quot;. here is where youll get some good info on common mistakes most are making and quickly realize most are covered in totz original post.

good luck

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">sorry jvroig.
my post meant to start totz and jvroig are right on.</div>
laugh.gif
no need. Most of the time, I don't even think I make sense
biggrin.gif
(see, children, your parents were right, crack is bad or you)

biggrin.gif
(Hey, just in case someone here has no sense of humor, that was a joke and I really don't do crack)

Regards
-JV

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jun. 27 2006,09:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">When you first start bulking, you will be eating so much food that you won't ever want to actually eat. There will be days where you will have to force yourself to eat, to the point where you will want to vomit - but you won't vomit, because you won't want to waste the food.</div>
That's where I am at now. I weighed in at 170 this morning. I'm up about 3.5 pounds from my starting weight 3 weeks ago. My gut measurement has increased, but so has my thighs and chest.

The first two weeks were very hard to eat the calories I need to gain. There was one day where I ate so much that I woke up the next day full. I could barely fit the morning protein shake in. But Totentanz is right, your body does adjust.

Oh yeah, I'm averaging around 3600 calories daily. And you won't gain anything if you don't eat enough. Realistically, you need a surplus of calories in order to put on larger mass.

Yeah, I know what you mean friend.

When I'm not bulking, I'd wake up and be like &quot;Hey, where's lunch?!&quot;

Yeah, always hungry in the morning
biggrin.gif

But when bulking, I'd be eating about as much as you, 3.6K, I'd be stuffing myself so much I'm not even hungry in the morning! I just force myself to eat something, especially when I decide to workout in the morning.

This cycle, although I'm supposed to be bulking, I'm finding it really hard to eat enough. It's summer in the UK now (ie. it doesn't rain as much!) and that seems to be making it harder to want to eat. I think the higher ambient temperature makes me want to eat less as I don't need as much to stay warm. The more I eat the hotter I get! Anyhow, I'm going to try more shakes to see if drinking more calories does the trick.

Dave: if you find it hard to eat enough calories with good, clean foods you may want to add in a few extra protein shakes other than the ones before and after training. Drinking calories is so much easier.

Although I don't recommend doing this as I am not sure about the long-term health risks, I am currently going to try to down 4 pints of whole milk a day (which is around 1,300 cals) in addition to my meals to see if this will help me get enough fuel each day. If anyone (perhaps Aaron_F?) knows why this is mad I am all ears. It seems that a lot of the old-school guys did this and more to get enough cals.

That is hilarious! Is it for real? 22lbs of food at one sitting! Remarkable. I guess he only eats once a month?

By comparison I am an eating wuss!
biggrin.gif

Kobayashi is a &quot;professional eating&quot; champ. Its a sport that's on fire in japan, and going global. I actually saw it on the daily show, jon stewart interviewed (and made fun of a little bit) a guy related to the sport I think. It was mentioned there that the pro eaters actually don't get any nutritional value from eating all that food, the stomach simply can't process that much, so most just goes to waste, literally
biggrin.gif

I don't know if I'd call it a sport, but yeah, it is real. The hot dogs he was referring to in the video is about the Nathan's Coney Island hot dog eating contest. It's actually coming up this weekend (4th of July weekend). Kobayashi has the record at 50 hot dogs (with buns) in 12 minutes.

You'd think they would be fat by eating all that food. Or least in &quot;training&quot; to eat all that food. But Kobayashi is actually pretty ripped. Here's a pic I found of him on google...

king.burger.jpg

BTW, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, Dave. But I must agree with all the above advice. Eat right, train right, rest right.

I'm pretty sure that most, if not all of those &quot;professional&quot; eaters yack the stuff up right after they get off stage.

Thanks for all the replies. I gotta admit the eating part is always hardest for me. I like getting into the weight room and working out but I always lose focus on the eating.

You say workout 3 days a week. Do you end up covering the entire body in the one workout?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You say workout 3 days a week. Do you end up covering the entire body in the one workout?</div>
Yes. It's very easy to do with only about 5 or 6 compounds and an iso or two.

Personally, I like to alternate exercises so I have an ABA BAB type 3 x weekly schedule. Eg.:

1) Deads (perhaps SLDLs) alt with Squats
2) Rows alt with Weighted Chins
3) Bench alt with Weighted Dips
4) Standing Presses
5) Shrugs (when not deadlifting)
6) Standing Calf Raise alt with Seated Calf Raise
7) Tri Extensions alt with Bi curls

Using this set-up I do 2 sets of 15s, 3 sets of 10s and 4 sets of 5s plus a higher rep set. So far this cycle (my fourth) it's working well even though my eating has not been brilliant and I have had to transfer to a new gym mid-cycle as the last one went bust
sad.gif
. All my maxes for 10s were reached easily. HST rocks!  
cool.gif

<div>
(dave86 @ Jun. 29 2006,17:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You say workout 3 days a week. Do you end up covering the entire body in the one workout?</div>
dave86

im going to go back to my (and others) 1st piece of advice.
read all the info on the HST home page first and then move into the forum for more detailed info and questions. your most recent question shows you dont have the basic grasp of HST principles and its not reallly logical to expect to get it post by post from everyone else when its right on the home page.

not trying to be a d**k here but once you read the home page youll realize your question was akin to asking &quot; when you say work out, do you mean lift weights?&quot;

discovering HST has helped me tremendously. applying good diet practices has equally helped my progress but nothing has furthered my goals more than reading and studying all kinds of diet/exer. info thats out there.

good luck

Back