Minimal maintenance routine

Dood

I've been wondering what the least amount of frequency and load would be required to maintain my gains. I know during the summer I have too much going on and am too active outdoors to want to spend much time in the gym and I've been thinking about how little I could do to keep my size and strength gains. My work and pastime activities are too physical for 15's to be very effective during the summer.
I've been considering once a week with something like my 10RM, one set for each exercise. I'd do dips, chins, deads/squats, and then each workout throw in something like incline DB curls or some other isolation work for a different body part each week. I could be out of the gym in 20 min or less :D
But, maybe I should be using some progression, starting with my first 10's workout and moving up each week? Or should I just use my 5RM? Should I train differently to keep strength over size, or vise versa?
crazy.gif

If you can't tell, I've argued this in circles in my head and I definitely need some outside help
worship.gif

If you`re going to hit you body only once a week thats fine. Just remember to train each bodypart and forget all isolating moves. Do things like DL, bench, squat, dips, pullups and so on....

But 20 minutes in the gym :confused: That`s too little time if you want to train sufficiently.

If I'm only doing dips, chins, and alternating Deads and squats, 20 minuets is plenty of time. That's only 3 exercises each workout, one or two sets per exercise. The question is will that be enough to maintain what I have and what rep and weight scheme is best.
I'm trying to figure out what the absolute least amount of work would still be effective.

Hey, why'd my post get kicked to the beginners board? Is this that basic a question? How about an answer then
laugh.gif

Seriously though, I'd say this directly relates to HST, i.e. would a stretched out progression be better than the same load used over.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dood @ Feb. 24 2005,9:45)]Hey, why'd my post get kicked to the beginners board?
:D
laugh.gif
This is how dk builds those HYOOGE arms... moving all these heavy threads around
tounge.gif

This is from memory: Bryan has suggested that training once a week ala HST should be enough for maintenance. In other words, once a week should work nicely, but I would do a load progression.

Happy hypertrophy!
Kate

Thanks, I've been leaning in that direction. Should I make larger jumps in progression each time, since it's only once a week? Do you think the 3 exercises, dips, chins squat/deads would be enough? Should I do all the other little tweaks I normally do, loaded streches, pulsing, extra lighter sets for metabolic work, etc?

I was about to ask the same question, once i hit my targetted weight, what will i need to do to maintain it ?
Right now since im following HST im going to the gym 3 or 4 times per week.
If i want to keep what i worked so hard for, are you sure once a week will be enough ?

Also im not sure progressive increases are a good thing ure going to the gym only once a week ? id say that if u only go once a week u better make that workout as hard as it can be ?

I just found this from Bryan:
"You can maintain with very little training. Even one workout per week will maintain your strength. I would suggest one full body workout using your 5-8RM on Fridays. This will be enough to amintain mass and strength yet not interfere with your basketball performance."
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin....ng+size

However, I'm not sure if he's saying to just use your 5 or 8 RM over and over, or progress from your 8RM to your 5RM. I think he means the former, which means no progression, which kind of surprises me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dood @ Feb. 24 2005,2:44)] I think he means the former, which means no progression, which kind of surprises me.
And me as well, Dood. :) It's pretty incredible, the difference between what it takes to build muscle and what it takes to hang on to it, for an experienced lifter.

Thanks for asking and thanks for sharing
thumbs-up.gif

Kate

To mantain, all you need is once-a-week. At this point, I just do basic HIT once-a-week and load progress once I get beyond 10 reps or so. Maybe a 15s set for the ego. Maybe a little Pilates or stretching throughout the week, so that I don't lose some of my flexibility and joint health. But that's about it. No pulses. No LS. No negatives. No isolation movements. Get in -- get out -- see the game on TV. :)

cheers,
Jules

Does that mean you take a set to failure then, since you're only doing it once a week?
How many sets per exercise, is one enough?
What exercises do you use, would dips, chins, deads/squats be enough?
Just looking for the absoulute minimum necessary. As you say, get in, get out...but in the summer get back outside and play!!
happy.gif

Maintenance routine:

Superset:
Incline DB bench press alternated with weighted dips
Weighted pull ups alternated with weighted chin ups

Superset:
Shoulder press alternated with shrugs
Squats alternated with sumo deadlifts

Superset:
Tricep isolation
Bicep isolation

Do two sets of each (one set for arms) once per week starting from your 10 RM and decreasing 1 rep each week to your 5 RM over a 6 week period and then return to your 10 RM and repeat.

Total = 10 sets which, when supersetted, can be completed within a 20 minute workout allotment.

Can also be done more than once per week and generate growth if time permits.

You can also do this using similar bodyweight exercises if travelling and do not want to SD.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ Feb. 25 2005,10:52)]Do two sets of each (one set for arms) once per week starting from your 10 RM and decreasing 1 rep each week to your 5 RM over a 6 week period and then return to your 10 RM and repeat.
That's kind of what I was thinking of as well, however I would think you could repeat your 5 RM workout for a few weeks since the load is so high, maybe throw in a set or two of higher rep metabolic work?

Back