long term whey protein use

I

imported_ejones

I know most people on here will think that I'm worrying too much with this question, but anytime I have been or will be using a supplement for a long period of time I always wonder if there are any effects that may build up. I have been using whey protein (mostly Optimum Nutrition brand b/c of the price) off and on for the past 5 years and pretty much daily for the past few years. I'm wondering since since whey protein only makes up a small percentage of protein in milk (the rest being casein) if there should be any worries long term about ingesting this 50-75 grams of whey protein every day. Humans have been drinking milk for quite a while, but we haven't been ingesting this amount of whey protein until it became so popular a few years back. I am also lactose intolerant and whey protein concentrate has a good amount of lactose (although Optimum's protein has lactase enzyme in it to help with this). Would it be better from a long term standpoint to consume maybe half your servings from egg white protein powders and half from milk protein isolate so you don't overdo it with any single form? I plan on taking probably 2-3 servings of protein for most of the rest of my life being that they're so convenient and I plan on continuing to workout for the rest of my life as well.

nah there's nothing about whey that makes it particularly dangerous. High amounts of protein can be stressful on the body if water intake is low, but generally nothing to be concerned about.

why is taking in a whey protein bad, but eating a egg white protein (which is equally novel in terms of the body) good?

i believe there is a problem with Insulin levels when you take whey protein too much. I'm not sure. Look in the thread protein release rates and concentration. Biz posted something i think people shold know about, but he hasn't specified anything yet. :confused:

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Jan. 12 2005,7:20)]why is taking in a whey protein bad, but eating a egg white protein (which is equally novel in terms of the body) good?
I guess what I'm saying is that people have been drinking milk and eating eggs for a long time and they're not considered unhealthy foods. However, people haven't been eating whey protein for very long in the amounts consumed by bodybuilders today. I doubt there are many serious issues with it, but I'm wondering if it would be better for me to pay $1-2 dollars/lb more for egg protein and/or milk protein so as to kind of "diversify" my exposure to anything that may cause problems long term. Also, WPC has a larger lactose content in it than plain milk protein isolate and many people are lactose intolerant, including me, and need to ingest lactase enzyme just to tolerate the stuff. I guess that also due to my sometimes "unpleasant" experiences with dairy products, health gurus claiming milk is bad for you, and the fact that it was made to be ingested by baby cows I periodically wonder if any problems may develop long-term from too much of milk products.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (noobie @ Jan. 12 2005,7:48)]i believe there is a problem with Insulin levels when you take whey protein too much. I'm not sure. Look in the thread protein release rates and concentration. Biz posted something i think people shold know about, but he hasn't specified anything yet. :confused:
i just checked your thread. i had never heard of that so i'll be interested to hear more.

ok. so i found some pretty scary stuff about whey protein. Never knew these effects could take place. Seems to be a serious problem, or is it just hype?

Whey Also Contains Insulin Growth Factor (IGF-1)

On January 23, 1998 researchers at the Harvard Medical School released a major study providing conclusive evidence that IGF-1 is a potent risk factor for prostate cancer. Should you be concerned? Yes, you certainly should, particularly if you drink milk produced in the United States . IGF-1 or insulin-like growth factor 1 is an important hormone that is produced in the liver and body tissues. It is a polypeptide and consists of 70 amino acids linked together. All mammals produce IGF-1 molecules very similar in structure and human and bovine IGF-1 are completely identical. IGF-1 acquired its name because it has insulin-like activity in fat (adipose) tissue and has a structure that is very similar to that of pro-insulin. The body's production of IGF-1 is regulated by the human growth hormone and peaks at puberty. IGF-1 production declines with age and is only about half the adult value at the age of 70 years. IGF-1 is a very powerful hormone that has profound effects even though its concentration in the blood serum is only about 200 ng/mL or 0.2 millionth of a gram per milliliter (1-4).

Insulin-like growth factor (IGF-I) in humans and cows are identical. Like a key fitting into a lock, this hormone is a perfect match between two species of animal and exerts powerful growth effects. IGF-I is the most powerful growth hormone in the human body. Every sip of milk, every bite of cheese, every whey protein drink contains IGF-I.

IGF-1 and Cancer

IGF-1 is known to stimulate the growth of both normal and cancerous cells(2,5). In 1990 researchers at Stanford University reported that IGF-1 promotes the growth of prostate cells(2). This was followed by the discovery that IGF-1 accelerates the growth of breast cancer cells(6-8). In 1995 researchers at the National Institutes of Health reported that IGF-1 plays a central role in the progression of many childhood cancers and in the growth of tumours in breast cancer, small cell lung cancer, melanoma, and cancers of the pancreas and prostate(9). In September 1997 an international team of researchers reported the first epidemiological evidence that high IGF-1 concentrations are closely linked to an increased risk of prostate cancer(10). Other researchers provided evidence of IGF-1's link to breast and colon cancers(10,11).
The January 1998 report by the Harvard researchers confirmed the link between IGF-1 levels in the blood and the risk of prostate cancer. The effects of IGF-1 concentrations on prostate cancer risk were found to be astoundingly large - much higher than for any other known risk factor. Men having an IGF-1 level between approximately 300 and 500 ng/mL were found to have more than four times the risk of developing prostate cancer than did men with a level between 100 and 185 ng/mL. The detrimental effect of high IGF-1 levels was particularly pronounced in men over 60 years of age. In this age group men with the highest levels of IGF-1 were eight times more likely to develop prostate cancer than men with low levels. The elevated IGF-1 levels were found to be present several years before an actual diagnosis of prostate cancer was made(12). The evidence of a strong link between cancer risk and a high level of IGF-1 is now indisputable. The question is why do some people have high levels while others do not? Is it all genetically ordained or could it be that diet or some other outside factor influences IGF-1 levels? Dr. Samuel Epstein of the University of Illinois is one scientist who strongly believes so. His 1996 article in the International Journal of Health Sciences clearly warned of the danger of high levels of IGF-1 contained in milk from cows injected with synthetic bovine growth hormone (rBGH). He postulated that IGF-1 in rBGH-milk could be a potential risk factor for breast and gastrointestinal cancers(13).

found here

http://www.enerex.ca/articles/say%20no%20way%20to%20whey.htm

1) try getting an oral active IGF1 and the pharmacology world will be beating down your door
2) if whey is bad, egg white protein will be just as bad, as they are both isolates from a whole food.
3) the lactose content of WPC will depend on processing, and may be similar to MPI/MPC concentration of lactose, its not generically more
4) and the story on IGF and cancer is a wide one (and would probabyl go towards a low protein diet to reverse the levels) certain cancers express an abundance of IGF receptors, which means they pick up available IGF and grow out of control. Does not mean that cancers require IGF to form

I'm not sure Aaron. The site gives a very hefty load of information against whey protein. I guess the real question is how well will it pertain to body builders? there are a pile of studies there done on cows, women with menopause and all sorts of junk. But really should we just whipe this off the slate because it's widely used and no one seems to be having problems. I'm still pretty novice with this stuff, but i have seen a couple of threads out there talking about some negative effects of whey protein supplementation, just not positive if it could really be applied in avrg bodybuilding situations.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (noobie @ Jan. 14 2005,2:29)]I'm not sure Aaron. The site gives a very hefty load of information against whey protein. I guess the real question is how well will it pertain to body builders? there are a pile of studies there done on cows, women with menopause and all sorts of junk.
the site is a retarded repost of the extra retarded group based around www.notmilk.com

wow.. haha, that does look pretty sketchy to me. alrigh alright Aaron you win
thumbs-up.gif
thanks for the help

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Jan. 13 2005,6:51)]1) try getting an oral active IGF1 and the pharmacology world will be beating down your door
Aaron, what do you think about Ergopharm's new protein that supposedly has some IGF-1 in it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (noobie @ Jan. 13 2005,4:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Every sip of milk, every bite of cheese, every whey protein drink contains IGF-I.
Milk it does a body good.
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The detrimental effect of high IGF-1 levels was particularly pronounced in men over 60 years of age.
So I have 20 more years of Milk, cheese, whey and Meat before I have to worry about it
thumbs-up.gif
, O&G ?

And I am sure we all remember the beer and cancer scare, the water and cancer scare, the tuna and god only nows scare, not to mention the shaving your legs scare, ooppps wrong Board, my bad. :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Jan. 13 2005,6:51)]1) try getting an oral active IGF1 and the pharmacology world will be beating down your door
2) if whey is bad, egg white protein will be just as bad, as they are both isolates from a whole food.
3) the lactose content of WPC will depend on processing, and may be similar to MPI/MPC concentration of lactose, its not generically more
4) and the story on IGF and cancer is a wide one (and would probabyl go towards a low protein diet to reverse the levels) certain cancers express an abundance of IGF receptors, which means they pick up available IGF and grow out of control. Does not mean that cancers require IGF to form
Aaron's first point is critical here.

IGF-1 does not become absorbed by the body when taken orally. It's broken in the GIT (gut) and IF (this is a big if btw), IF somehow it wasn't and was absorbed, it would be metabolised in the liver before entering systemic circulation.

I've majored in Pharmacology and I can tell you right now that if can find a way to make IGF-1 bioavailable from an oral administration, you're an instant billionaire.

Back