Ibuprofin and catabolism

quadancer

I did a fruitless search first. I've seen several comments as to ibuprofin being catabolic. I use it sometimes at the end of a hard day when I have to work out, but don't like painkillers in a workout unless I really need them.

Is there any validity to these comments?
Is there a better alternative?

Yes, it is possible

Ibuprofen will impact on prostaglandin synthesis and has been shown to halt hte protein synthesis stimulated by resistance training.

you would have to be taking a good whack of it, prior to training to really impact. But you shouldnt be using ibuprofen constantly anyway.

There are several articles cited in PubMed that indicate NSAIDs effectiveness is due to inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis.

"The principal pharmacological effects of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are due to their ability to inhibit prostaglandin synthesis"  NSAIDs Biochem

A number of sources indicate that acetaminophen also has an inhibitory effect, but there seems to be some controversy as to the mode of action (COX1, COX2, or COX3?).  Not sure how strong the relative effect is, either.

Guess that gives new meaning to the phrase "no pain, no gain."  
ghostface.gif

Awmigod, that opens up another question: since they used phenylalanine tracers to measure the rate of whole body protein breakdown, then what about the use of DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine)? I just started taking this stuff by Twinlab in a loading phase for an overall body pain reliever, as an alternative to the acetominophen and Ibuprofin. I just saw the connection there, but the study wasn't about adding phenylalanine.
Evidently the DLPA uses an entirely different mechanism for pain relief, since it takes two weeks to start working, but the reports I saw looked very promising as to it's effectiveness.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 09 2007,00:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Awmigod, that opens up another question: since they used phenylalanine tracers to measure the rate of whole body protein breakdown, then what about the use of DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine)? I just started taking this stuff by Twinlab in a loading phase for an overall body pain reliever, as an alternative to the acetominophen and Ibuprofin. I just saw the connection there, but the study wasn't about adding phenylalanine.
Evidently the DLPA uses an entirely different mechanism for pain relief, since it takes two weeks to start working, but the reports I saw looked very promising as to it's effectiveness.</div>
Phenylalanine tracers are in such small amounts that I doubt there is any connection as the DLP studies I've seen need much higher amounts for any (if any) effect.

Back