HST help

style

I was wondering if there is any proven benefit to warm-ups, does it really help you lift more weight? And how does it affect your injury chances? I'v lifted for a couple of years and never consistently warmed up, I do when squatting or deadlifting but never feel it helps my performance at all nor have I ever suffered any injuries when weightlifting.

Warmups thread from the FAQ:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Begin with a general warmup – stationary bike, treadmill or similar for 5 mins at low-moderate intensity – just enough to break a sweat. Then do some light, dynamic stretching – arm rotations and similar.

Continue to:

Specific warmups for first exercise of major muscle groups (legs, chest, back)

15s don't really require warm-ups.

10s - 1 set 5 reps @ 70% of working weight on main exercises. Later exercises for same or auxillary muscle groups don't require warm-ups unless you feel you need it.

5s - 1 set 5 reps @ 50% of working weight

1 set 3 reps @ 70% of working weight

1 set 2-3 reps @ 80% of working weight

1 set 1 rep @ 90% of working weight (optional)

Although it looks like a lot, it is low-volume compared to those that use 20+reps on their warm-up sets. The warmup only serves to increase the core- and local temperature, thus elevating various enzymes and activating the neural system, thus making the muscles work more efficiently. Don’t make the warm-ups into a workout of its own. The above should at most require 15 minutes.

- Blade

The reps should be easy, producing more of an "active stretch" than a strength challenge. You will find that when you train a body part more frequently, it requires less warm up to feel ready to perform.

- Bryan

Thanks for your post but the questions are unanswered. Are there any studies proving the benefits of warmups?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I was wondering if there is any proven benefit to warm-ups, does it really help you lift more weight?
No. But an increased (raised) muscle temperature is required for maximal aerobic response. Helps performance, but that won't mean you'll suddenly increase your 1RM just by warming up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And how does it affect your injury chances?
Sufficient warmup can lessen it by increasing the elasticity of muscles and smoothing muscular contractions. Too much (in particular too much stretching) simply lessens peak power output, and can even predispose you to injury. Some studies report very little change on injury prevention though. But following the obvious physiological changes (specifically in aerobic performance), enough warm up will definitely help lessen the chance of getting injured, except for injuries that are a result of poor form, sloppy training habits, ignoring common sense about safety, and the like which really have no connection to your physical conditioning.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Are there any studies proving the benefits of warmups?
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1998 Feb;27(2):154-61. The effect of warm-up intensity on range of motion and anaerobic performance.

W van Mechelen, H Hlobil, HC Kemper, WJ Voorn and HR de Jongh. Department of Health Science, Faculty of Human Movement Sciences, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam. Prevention of running injuries by warm-up, cool-down, and stretching exercises

Med Sci Sports. 1975 Summer;7(2):146-9. Effect of warm-up on metabolic responses to strenuous exercise.

F. Ingjer and S. B. StrØmme. Laboratory of Physiology, Norwegian College of Physical Education and Sport, Box 40, Kringsjaa, Oslo 8, Norway. Effects of active, passive or no warm-up on the physiological response to heavy exercise

Safran MR, Seaber AV, Garrett WE Jr. Sports Med. 1989 Oct;8(4):239-49. Warm-up and muscular injury prevention. An update.

There are a lot more. You can see for yourself by following the links, and view for yourself the related articles and cited studies in these studies.

Back