HMB

Jon Stark

Hey Bryan, your tips regarding when/how to use CLA were so useful I was hoping you'd also offer suggestions regarding HMB supplementation.

I read your article here, which was helpful.
http://musclemonthly.com/article....ork.htm

But here are some more specific questions...
1. How much to take? (Up to 3 grams where used in that study you described in the article. I'm a bigger guy, so I was thinking I'd try something in the neighborhood of 4 to 5 grams.)
2. When do you take it? (Pre-exercise, with Primer? Post-exercise, with Driver? On empty stomach in the morning? Before bed?)
3. Is there a phase of HST training during which HMB would be most beneficial? (I'm looking at taking it during the 2nd week of 5s and through the negatives -- which is the most intense phase.)

Thanks in advance!

my 2c worth (NZ cents - worth far less than those american ones
tounge.gif
)

From some of the information i have read about it, it would be good during the negatives, because it can help some signs of eccentric caused DOMS.

Also a large amount of people dont see much benifit of it at all.

Yeah, I've tried it before too, with not much in the way of results. I recommend Bryan's article though (link above). He argues that the stuff might be more beneficial for people using high-frequency/low-volume training methods (like HST).

When I tried HMB before, I was in full bore "intensity" mode (i.e., perpetually plateauing).

Back