Deadlifts

ian

After years of training I've finally got a set of shoulders, however I recently started deadlifting again (after a few years) and someone said to me they will give you rounded shoulders (so you don't get the 'V' look).

Is this true???
I can't see the logic behind it???

You would only get rounded shoulders if your front and side delts and chest were much better developed and 'tighter' than your rear delts, rhomboids and middle traps. Deadlifts, if anything strengthen the back so that is complete nonsense.

Yeah, that's not very sensical. I deadlift almost religously and my shoulders are not rounded...

I heard Straight Legged Deadlifts were very dangerous to do. A coach told me that its really easy to sprain your lower back doing them.

He recommended I put a barbell on my shoulders, slightly bend my knees, and lean forward till my butt is out and my torso is almost parallel to the ground.

You guys think this is a good alternative?

I expect the round shouldered idea comes from trap development. Massively developed traps along with under-developed medial delts could make you look as if you had rounded shoulders. Highly unlikely if you are a natural lifter and do a full-body workout comprised of a good range of the main compound exercises.

Shoebox: Stiff Legged Deadlifts are fine if you build up to heavy lifts over time. Good form is everything for this exercise if you want to avoid problems. It may help to unlock your knees slightly.

After taking advice here I no longer stand on a platform when performing SLDLs and lower so that the plates touch the floor. Although I have no problem touching my toes, I found that doing heavy lifts on a platform and lowering until the bar touched my toes started to give me pain in my hip joints. Without the platform the pain has now cleared up. I still feel a massive benefit in my hams and glutes and now really enjoy the exercise. It's a blast!

I definitely perfer SLDLs to Good Mornings.

Check out these links for more info:

Barbell Stiff legged Deadlift

<a href="http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html
" target="_blank">Barbell Straight Leg Deadlift</a>

Barbell Bent Knee Good-morning

Ian, I think that the person who told you that deadlift would give you a rounded shape for your shoulders may be absolutely right...... it is logical and I am not surprised at all.... it is very easy, by doing deadlift, specially with heavy weight, your arms may elongate, so you will have a gorilla or orangutan look, HA HA HA
laugh.gif
tounge.gif

Another good thing for the gorilla look is trying to walk with a 100lb dumbell hanging from your waist when you use the dip bars!
biggrin.gif

he he he, you are correct Lol..... I like when the group starts thinking 'out of the box&quot; to find answers to our questions and prayers, he he he..... HS, now I think I know why my legs are getting more and more curved, he he he
biggrin.gif

Your funny you lot aren't you!!!!
rock.gif

I told you I didn't get the logic, but I thought I'd check.

Now leave me alone!!!

(I suddenly have a terrible yearning for some banana protein shake and to comb my freinds for flees)

the guy that told you that must have been the same guy in everyones gym we know him in england as BIG DAVE McBIG...he is the one that does all the exercises wrong with the most weight he can lift and screams while he is lifting..and sits on the bench talking on his mobile
rock.gif

Back