A newbie tries to fugure out supplements

Kreuzerkrieg

Hi!
A question, what do you guys think about solgar products?

in addition I want to start using supplements, please review and comment. did I miss something important?

• EFA 1300 mg Omega 3-6-9 Softgels (Non-GMO) or Tonalin® CLA 1250 mg Softgels
• Whey To Go® Protein Powder
• L-Glutamine 500 mg Vegetable Capsules  
• FP Chinese Green Tea Vegetable Capsules
• Formula VM-2000® Tablets (Multi-Nutrient System With Herbs)

The EFA's and multi vitamin sounds like a good idea.

If you get plenty of protein via real food, you don't need the protein powder.

If you do feel you need the protein powder, if you get something like optimum nutritions 100% whey, it contains all the l-glutamine and other amino acids.  Shouldn't need to buy it seperately, should you require the protein powder.

You may wish to check out creatine monohydrate, it an amino acid and proven to work, in many, just keep your expectations reasonable, its also very cheap.  Should you want creatine, make sure you see two things in the ad or product container description, creapure and micronized.

Other than that, double check that your diet is correct, as it makes all the difference in the world.

Good luck

<div>
(need2eat @ Sep. 28 2006,08:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">...If you get plenty of protein via real food, you don't need the protein powder...</div>
Just sick and tired of tuna
mad.gif

<div>
(need2eat @ Sep. 28 2006,08:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
...l-glutamine and other amino acids...</div>
I will check the products for amino, good point
<div>
(need2eat @ Sep. 28 2006,08:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
Good luck</div>
Thanks
smile.gif

<div>
(need2eat @ Sep. 28 2006,09:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Tired of tuna, try chicken or beef.  
biggrin.gif

I understand though, I am sick of eating, period..
biggrin.gif

Good luck</div>
Actually u r right
smile.gif
Chichen and beef have to be cooked first which means time to spend on it. tuna is fast, cheap and 24% of protein sounds cool, but you cant yeat it over years
smile.gif

If you are a new guy to training, then you don't need suppliments.

Figure out your nutrition requirements, plan several meals that meet them, get all your needs from food.

I don't consider protein/milk to be suppliments - they are a cheap, easy food that have their place around workouts.

Other things like NOS, GABA, etc... are just icing on the cake that only give the slightest edge if even that much once nutrition and workouts are in perfect order.

Creatine on the other hand, it is very useful if these things are in perfect order.

ok, I need a short explanation on the subject, actually why do I think I need it, and then you can judge me
smile.gif

• Whey To Go® Protein Powder - Well, still on tuna and I believe I receive even more than I need, powder can wait for a while
• Formula VM-2000® Tablets (Multi-Nutrient System With Herbs) - I do not consume vegetables, so, I guess I need vitamins, just upgrading from formula VM-75 to formula VM-2000

As I understand the subject all below should help in my overall health condition, enhance my immune system, digestive system, etc.
• EFA 1300 mg Omega 3-6-9 Softgels (Non-GMO) or Tonalin® CLA 1250 mg Softgels
• L-Glutamine 500 mg Vegetable Capsules
• FP Chinese Green Tea Vegetable Capsules
Well, somewhere in the list should be creatine, still looking for it

Something to consider, a can of tuna is around 33g protein, .25lbs or 1/4 pound cooked chicken is around 24g protein.  Drink a glass of fat free milk with the chicken, your right there.

You can do what I do, get a 5lbs package of chicken, cook it, takes about an hour, put it in a sealed container, your good for a couple days.   Once you get in the routine, its not that big a deal.

There is an issue with mercury and tuna, it may or may not be a myth, but what is true, is some fish have higher contents of mercury and high levels of mercury are no good for people.  Something to consider.

Im not trying to persuade you from the protein powder, heck, replace one or two servings of chicken with it, just saying, its not necassary.  IMO, optimum nutrition whey protein, $50 for a 10lbs bag, around 177 servings, can't go wrong.  You can contact optimum nutrition directly and they will send you free samples, Im glad I had them do that, cause a couple suck.  
biggrin.gif

Also, the more is better on protein, isn't quite true, if your getting enough protein from real food, your gonna literally piss your money away, but as long as your target consumption is close to optimum, and you replace a serving or two of real food with a shake or two, just to mix things up, hey, I say go for it.
biggrin.gif

Again, good luck

It's been recommended to limit tuna to 3x a week, but I can't remember in what quantities. Better to be safe tho.
I don't really consider whey powder to be a supplement. It's a food supp, yeah, but no different than the tuna, hey? Besides, with milk, I love it and the cost per serving is affordable. Not to mention that it allows me to eat some meals that don't have much meat in them but are otherwise enjoyable, and still get in my protein.

About protein. If it's supposed to be &quot;I before E, except after C&quot; how come we spell that backwards? From the odd questions file...
rock.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 20 2006,17:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">About protein. If it's supposed to be &quot;I before E, except after C&quot; how come we spell that backwards? From the odd questions file...
rock.gif
</div>
it's weird, isn't it?

Back