Is HST really the best?

Curt

I've only had mediocre results with HST, mostly because of inconsistency and not eating enough. What kind of gains have you guys made of HST? What other programs have you tried and how did the gains compare?

i've been able to gain 40 lbs within a semester. HST principles are the best. There are ways to tweak it and other programs that still follow HST principles that give good results, maybe better results, maybe worse. It really depends on your conditioning and what works for your body. I've tried HIT and results were minimal compared to HST. But then again, the first HST cycle i did had minimal gains compared to the tweaked version of HST that i do now. So really you need to just experiment and see what fits you best. and especially pay attention to consistency and eating.

pzhang

Read the results thread if you want to see how people have done with HST. I went from around 180 lbs at the beginning of 2005 to 215 lbs in one year, with roughly the same bodyfat percentage, using HST.

It all comes down to eating. If you don't eat, you'll have crap results.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Mar. 06 2006,17:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Read the results thread if you want to see how people have done with HST.  I went from around 180 lbs at the beginning of 2005 to 215 lbs in one year, with roughly the same bodyfat percentage, using HST.

It all comes down to eating.  If you don't eat, you'll have crap results.</div>
Eating is important but for any intermediate to advanced lifter it usually never is the issue. The body thrives on excess and so long as that is in place, you will grow.

Training is most important. And I don't think that anyone can say HST is the best. Whats best is the training principles provided by a body of literature. When it boils down to it, it suggests progressive overload, 2-3x per week frequency, strategic deconditioning, whatever. Thats not really HST, its just principles of good training.

<div>
(psychedout @ Mar. 06 2006,18:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">When it boils down to it, it suggests progressive overload, 2-3x per week frequency, strategic deconditioning, whatever. Thats not really HST, its just principles of good training.</div>
Actually, that is HST. A set of principles on how to train.

Anyway, diet is still the most important thing. No matter how advanced you are, if you don't keep tight reins on your diet, your results will suffer.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">When it boils down to it, it suggests progressive overload, 2-3x per week frequency, strategic deconditioning, whatever. Thats not really HST, its just principles of good training.</div>

Sounds a lot like HST to me....I have had a lot of training experience before I found this site and I have never come across anything as effective and revolutionary as the HST training method. Just to add another person to the list I went from 169-197 in just about 7 months. I probably went up about 2% body fat, Im currently on a cut and I feel confident that I will look much bigger at a lower bodyfat than when I started. Not to sound cliche but I dont know if I would have been able to do it without this site.

Curt

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've only had mediocre results with HST, mostly because of inconsistency and not eating enough.</div>

Seriously, now.
mad.gif
A bit of a silly argument if you ask me, specially knowing that you were inconsistent and not eating enough. :0:

If you have a mediocre approach you will have a mediocre set of results, (G.I.G.O. syndrome) no matter what program you use.

I suggest you give it one hell of a try using evrything you got and if you have bad results, then, by all means question HST!

psychedout

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Training is most important. And I don't think that anyone can say HST is the best.</div>

I beg to differ, HST is indeed the best I have seen so far!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Whats best is the training principles provided by a body of literature. When it boils down to it, it suggests progressive overload, 2-3x per week frequency, strategic deconditioning, whatever. Thats not really HST, its just principles of good training.</div>

Ooops, that HST alright, the exact principles laid out by the introductory HST page!

What's more, I have not seen those principles as laid out anywhere else so why is it not HST? Sure it is.

You are half right in saying they are good principles provided by a body of literature, basically HST is the application of laboratory research in reality!

psychedout.. HST is a set of principals its not a workout routine..bryan has invested a lot of time and effort (free of charge) into studying how muscle grows then he has set out some principals based on those studies and experience in the gym...all you have to do is work out a routine that suites you, based on those principals.and i would say training is 1/3rd, diet 1/3rd, rest 1/3rd..
biggrin.gif

HST IS AMAZING!!! I started it back in June at 180 lbs 15%bf and now I am 250 at 8% bf!!!

Well, we can dream right?

In all seriousness, HST principals are great... and one of the coolest things about it is the workout plan you make from it can be so much fun...

and you don't lift to failure.

<div>
(noobie @ Mar. 06 2006,15:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i've been able to gain 40 lbs within a semester. HST principles are the best. There are ways to tweak it and other programs that still follow HST principles that give good results, maybe better results, maybe worse. It really depends on your conditioning and what works for your body. I've tried HIT and results were minimal compared to HST. But then again, the first HST cycle i did had minimal gains compared to the tweaked version of HST that i do now. So really you need to just experiment and see what fits you best. and especially pay attention to consistency and eating.

pzhang</div>
Wow, would you mind posting your routine/diet? Totentanz, could you post yours as well. Amazing results.

Nothing really special about what I did. I just ate constantly until I wanted to puke from all the food in my stomach, then lifted every other day.

My routines usually were something like this:

Squats
Bentover Rows
Incline Bench or Dips
Weighted Chins
Military Press
Deadlifts
Good Mornings (sometimes)

There were a couple cycles where I did curls, and one where I did shrugs as well, but otherwise it looked more or less like above.
For diet, I pretty much just ate as much as I could. I did get a lot of high protein foods, and supplemented with whey, so I was usually getting at least 250 grams of protein a day, if not more. I had to eat close to 5000 calories most of the time to get decent growth, though earlier in 2005 I was able to get away with 3500-4000 for my first couple cycles. Of course, I barely grew those two cycles, so maybe that wasn't enough food.
My macronutrients were probably 40% fat 30% protein and 30% carbs, though it varied each day.

Tot: Great gains mate. Roughly how much sat. fat made up the 40%?

Oh, and back on topic, yes it is if you want to build muscle! HST provides a really fantastic foundation to build on. And the HST principles allow room for any future discoveries made by the scientific community to be incorporated into an HST program.

Keystone: that is correct

Lol: I tried to keep the saturated fats low, around 25% of my total fat intake was usually saturated. However, watching my diet while I'm not bulking seems to take care of any problems that might have arisen from all that fat.

my routine was pretty simple, 15's started off with incline bench, lat pulldown, ab work, and leg press. went into the 10's with the same idea until the end of the 10's when i brought in the isolations, (arnold press, tri ext, bicep curl). extended into just doing eccentric movements for 3 weeks. ate as much as i could, literally. Ran a bottle of Rebound XT and melting point. bodyfat % went up 2 percent though which is no good, but the mass gains were great.

Ij ust simply followed the training principles and got to where I am. though the massive loads of stretch marks are very annoying, the gains are much worth it.

pzhang

You can search it on the forum. Its just a way of performing a rep where u do half reps (top half of the motion to sticking point) and then do the other half (lower half to sticking point). THere are ways to manipulate this also.

'I've only had mediocre results with HST, mostly because of inconsistency and not eating enough'

This is a fundamentally stupid statement.

Back