New guy here, plan to start HST this September

Frank Castle

Hey everyone,
First off - Great website and great forums!
I'm planning to start a HST cycle in September and after lots of reading and confusion, I think I have finally got to grips with it. And it doesn't seem so complicated afterall.
Below is a link of a sample overview of a routine, it's in Excel format to make things easier and simple.
Like I said, I think I pretty much understand everything I would just like someone with some knowledge to skim over my sample routine and make sure it's correct.
Also, I currently workout at home so the exercises I can do are pretty limited. I'm able to do just about all dumbbell/barbell and freeweight exercises, I just don't have access to cables or machines. At the moment I'm unable to join a gym, so I'm hoping I'll be able to join sometime in the new year and hopefully vary my workouts a little more, and hopefully make some better gains.

Just one last thing, I'm not quite sure I understand the term zigzagging? Also, when increasing the weight it doesn't have to be in set increment does it? For example, increases of 10 pounds all the time? Could you say, increase them 10 pounds one day, then the next workout increase them by 15 pounds for example, then the next increase them by 10 again? I know this may not be all that important and I'm guessing it shouldn't really matter as long as the weight is increasing up to your rep max but I was just curious.
All comments and advice welcome for the HST n00b! :D
Thanks!

LINK - http://www.g-lloyd.com/hst_sample.htm

Hi Frank, welcome !
I'll leave the routine critique to those in the know.
Zig-zagging is when your starting weight of the rep range is lower than the finishing weight on the previous range. So between ranges your weight zig-zags backwards then forwards again as you increment. Try this from the FAQ for more detail - FAQ - Zig zagging
With regards the increments, many of the factors are discussed here - What increments to use. My guess as a fairly noob, would be that provided the weight is increasing and big enough it's not a major crisis.
I think you might get a better response to this type of question in the HST section rather than the general training forum.
All the best with you HST training.

Hello The Punisher  :)

Well, your routine seems to include great core lifts, so it's ok. Just remember, better gains won't be attained just by tweaking or changing your routine to a better one. You also have to mind your diet, and you also have to get enough rest (sleep and stress control).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Could you say, increase them 10 pounds one day, then the next workout increase them by 15 pounds for example, then the next increase them by 10 again? I know this may not be all that important and I'm guessing it shouldn't really matter as long as the weight is increasing up to your rep max but I was just curious.

Sure, no problem there. I don't know why you'd want to differ the increments for the same exercise, but as long as the trend is progressively heavier, then no problem. You may also choose different increments for different exercises, and that in fact may often be the case (for example, incrementing by 10 pounds for your upper body compound movements, but only 5 for your arm isolation exercises, and 20 for leg exercises).

Good job, Smee. You pretty much gave mr punisher all the info he needs.

And Frank, hey, sorry you had to bump before anybody got to you. It rarely happens, people here usually don't take too long to help out noobs. Just happens every so often that a thread gets passed by, but this board is actually pretty great with lots of helpful people around.

Regards, and good luck! :)
-JV

Hey,

Thanks for the replies, guys. No biggie on the bump.

Yeah, I'll probably stick to 10 pound increases on the bigger movements - Squats, rows, bench etc and probably around 5 pound increases on the smaller muscle groups. I was just curious about the increments.

Thanks for the help.

Back