more sets/exericse OR exercises/muscle group?

killroy70

I'm looking for suggestions from some members here about what they feel is a better route to take - more sets/exericse OR exercises/muscle group? I'm looking for what people think is more optimal for hypertrophy. Now, this question is obviously specific to HST, so I'm not talking about 4-5 sets/exercise, etc.. I'll use the chest as an example: which would be more condusive to growth:

Bench press 2x10
Dips 1x10

or

Bench press 1x10
Incline press 1x10
Dips 1x10

I've found that I prefer using more exercises per muscle group vs. sets/exercise - but that is a personal preference most likely based on the mental edge of knowing you only have to perform that ONE set for each exercise and therefore aren't worried about fatigue preventing you from completing that exact movement a second (or 3rd) time. However, what I'm interested in is hypertrophy, that's why I'm here. So, again, just looking for what some members think is the better route to take.

Just fyi, this is my current routine (in the middle of first week of 10's):

Squat 1x10
Glute/Ham raise 1x10
Bench 1x10
Parallel handle chins 1x10
Incline press 1x10
Chest supported incline barbell row 1x10
Dips 1x10
Chest supported incline barbell row 1x10 (upper back needs extra work, lagging)
Seated Overhead barbell press 1x10
dumbbell upright row 1x10
lying (on side) rear delt raise 1x10
barbell curs 1x10
dumbbell tricep extension 1x10
Zottman curl 1x10
lying ez bar tri extension 1x10

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for your time and consideration.

Ken

"more sets/exericse OR exercises/muscle group?"

More exercises.
thumbs-up.gif

I agree, but only to an extent. If you reach the point where you are forced to substitute inferior exercises to add additional sets, I think you are worse off. Variety will add gains, that I am not denying. But I think that before you go and do machine flyes for an additional chest set in your routine, you should first consider additional dip sets (Provided you are not doing something specialized like loaded streches or the likes).

Back