Rep Maxes

chitownrat

I'm new to the site, and I'm chomping on the bit to get my workout started. I'm just wondering, what's the best way to figure out what my rep max is for each block? 15,10,5, etc. Do I just go in the gym and guess and see how it works out, or is there an easier way to figure it out? I want to be precise as possible. And if I have to test my rep max do I not start my workout on the same day? It would affect the workout schedule, right? Any other tip for a newbie is welcome. Thanks!

Welcome to the board, Chitownrat
thumbs-up.gif

First of all you need to get your butt down to the gym and start throwing those weights around. The most precise way to establish the RMs is to find them with trial and error.
Some use calculators - but these are not that accurate for the high rep ranges (above 10 reps). Here are a coule of calculators you can use: Link
Second you must take a full SD AFTER you've established your RMs.

Happy hunting ;)

What I usually do is to devote a whole week to finding rep maxes. Sunday I'll do 15s. So I'll try really hard to guess at what I can lift for 15 reps and go until light failure. If I've over- or underestimated by a bit, I'll subtract or add 5-10 lbs, but I don't do any more sets. Wednesday is the same with 10s, and Saturday is the same with 5s. Hope that helps.

Yeah, what they said. Just find them through trial and error. It isn't too hard. On Mon find your 15s, on Wed find your 10s (which will be easier once you know your 15s) and then on Fri or Sat find your 5s.

Remember, you don't have ot fit 15, or 10, or 5 exactly. If you do 16 max you are safe saying that that weight will work for your 15RM. If you fall short by 1 or 2 reps, just subtract 10-20 pounds and call it good.

I know this is an old thread but I am with him on this one. I basically knwo what i can do for 15, 10, 5 cause I have been doing a HIT program that hits them simliarly (12-15, 6-10, 1-5) can I just take these numbers since I know close enough what i can do? Also hwo do you know how much of you say 15RM to start with on day-1 of week-1?

louie if your 15rm is 100k do this
75,80,85,90,95,100..so day one is 75k
if thats too light you can do this
there is no problem with repeating a weight and its the same for the 5s and 10s. :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (faz @ Dec. 01 2005,1:49)]louie if your 15rm is 100k do this
75,80,85,90,95,100..so day one is 75k
if thats too light  you can do this
there is no problem with repeating a weight and its the same for the 5s and 10s. :D
Ok skip my response in the other thread, LOL!!!

Back