Is SD long enough to achieve its goals?

rcl-isr

I just can't find comments from bryan's or one of the veterans here about SD in regarding to whether there're real advantges in SDing for 9 (or 14) days in order to 'take down' any defences muscle cells might have against further hypertrophy.

Lyle is talking about something that lengths from 4 weeks to 6 months when you try to achieve noticeable deconditioning, and while it isn't very appeling to the average bodybuilder because it'll bring too much of a muscle loss, it's questioning the necessity and value of SD as it's beeing utilized in HST.

What are your thoughts about it? if may, I'd like to see studies about SD in regard to what I've written.

Thanks in advance.

Well, since I am the one in the debate with Lyle over there you probably already know my stance. :D
BTW there are no studies on SD, there are studies on detraining but none that directly correllate it to RBE.

as I see it, this is the one part of HST that hasn't been proven in studies. The RBE is definately real, but there's no literature out there (that I know of) that proves that it abates (significantly) in 9-14 days. Many people interpret DOMS upon a return from SD as proof of deconditioning.

It's possible that this is true, but who knows, this is the one aspect that has yet to be proven.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rcl-isr @ June 24 2005,4:53)]I just can't find comments from bryan's or one of the veterans here about SD in regarding to whether there're real advantges in SDing for 9 (or 14) days in order to 'take down' any defences muscle cells might have against further hypertrophy.
Lyle is talking about something that lengths from 4 weeks to 6 months when you try to achieve noticeable deconditioning, and while it isn't very appeling to the average bodybuilder because it'll bring too much of a muscle loss, it's questioning the necessity and value of SD as it's beeing utilized in HST.
What are your thoughts about it? if may, I'd like to see studies about SD in regard to what I've written.
Thanks in advance.
Hi rcl-isr,

Lyle is right that in order to see gross changes in the tissue it requires more than 2 weeks of unloading.

SD is not complete detraining. It was never meant to be. It is used to move things in a desired direction, but I have never claimed that it had the same effect as what you see in hindlimb suspension research that involves weeks or even months of unloading. But there is research showing the principle behind SD to be true. Meaning, adaptation occurs with loading the reduces the anabolic potential of each subsequent workout. Likewise, adaptation also occurs with unloading that increases the anabolic potential of loading. This simple principle is what SD is based on. Nothing magic, nothing unique to HST training, its just how the physiology works.

With SD, we want to try to increase the sensitivity of the tissue by removing the loading stimulus, while at the same time, keeping the deconditioning period short enough not to lose too much muscle. How long a person wants to SD is up to them. The smaller they are (training age) the less they need SD, and vice versa.

So, if after using 5RM weights for several weeks a person can SD for two weeks (or however long they choose) and end up sore after lifting weights in the 15-20RM range, we have achieved something beneficial to natural lifters. We've made weights that were previously unable to elicit a traumatic response (i.e. anabolic) potent again.

And I need to add something before closing. Anytime you hear something about HST that doesn't sound rational, it probably isn't true. HST is based on sound physiological principles. The methods that one chooses to make those principles work for them is up to them. The better they understand these principles the better decisions they will make about the methods they choose.

Now, anytime someone (not you rcl-isr, I'm just making an example) claims that SD will completely "take down any defenses muscle cells might have against further hypertrophy" you will know right away that they do not fully grasp the underlying principles. The language is just too extreme and they are likely just looking for an argument.

In physiology things don't go from black to white in one step (think analog), they pass through a myriad of grays before things get white. Likewise, the things we do in the gym (and out of it) don't produce instant noticeable changes. It’s a slow process that begins immediately, but takes time to discern.

Thank you all for your replies.

The way it seems - it all sums up to one question: are doms an indicator for growth? I can't find studies that says it is. I don't want to sound contentious (hey, it's all science at the end), but that was lyle's comment on the subject (DKM1987 - you're familiar with it since you replied on that thread):

1. "If you feel really sore, this is actually GOOD news! what just happened to you is that you succesfully lowered your minimum effective weight. That is perfect! This allows even less weight to be used and still grow."

Excpt with data coming out that DOMS has more to do with connective tissue, well.....
He's just perpetrating the same crap that Vince does.

Lyle

(I don't why he used the word crap...)

and:

2. "6-8 weeks, 6 months; 7 days is still nothing.

Let me dig up the study showing that the initial de-adaptation is neural and we can put this to rest.

Considering that DOMS (see a bunch of recent work by MALMS) is more likned to inflammation of the connective tissue rather than muscle, well DOMS is a poor indicator of any of this.

Lyle

I'll say straight ahead: when it comes to hypertrophy I learn from the guys here (and most of all bryan), and from lyle. I think that it is easy to see why from my 'dumb bodybuilder' point of view I'm confused.

I'd like (once again) to see your thoughts...

Thanks again - yaniv.

Good question rcl and great post Bryan.

My take on DOMS is that it is a reflection of the amount of trauma that is caused by loading. If you believe, as I do, that you do not need need to create massive trauma each time you workout in order to grow, then DOMS is not something to necessarily strive for. I think of it like a boxing match; you only need to punch your opponent hard enough to keep him down for a count of ten. Hitting him so hard that he is out for a count of 100 is not necessary to attain the same result.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ June 25 2005,6:39)]Good question rcl and great post Bryan.
My take on DOMS is that it is a reflection of the amount of trauma that is caused by loading. If you believe, as I do, that you do not need need to create massive trauma each time you workout in order to grow, then DOMS is not something to necessarily strive for. I think of it like a boxing match; you only need to punch your opponent hard enough to keep him down for a count of ten. Hitting him so hard that he is out for a count of 100 is not necessary to attain the same result.
Now we just need to figure out a way to see that he's down, without having to rely on a broken hand to know for sure :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Enjoy Kane @ June 24 2005,8:54)]so after i finish finding out all my max's should i take the 9-14 days off or more... or not at all?
To begin the cycle at what can reasonably be assumed as a good starting place to have the maximum anabolic potential, yes you should.

It is a matter of context, when snippets are taken out of a whole piece of work then pasted up there are times when the message can be misconstrued.

Now I am assuming you have the FAQs but for those who haven't and are questioning the legitimacy of HST's stance on DOMS and SD let me paste the pertinant FAQ's.

With relation to DOMS
DOMS FAQ

As far as SD I recommend anyone trying to understand why this is implemted in HST to read both the
SD FAQ and the SD Article.

On a personal note I don't see how it can be made any clearer.

Back